Author Topic: McAloon Family in 1861 Census - Old Monkland areas -  (Read 870 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAloon Family in 1861 Census - Old Monkland areas -
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:01 GMT (UK) »

John died approx 1883, also in Coatbridge area.
This John who died 1883 is a baby - born 1882.

Perhaps check out the 1886 death. It will contain information about his parents.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:21 GMT (UK) »
You are in luck.

The index at FamilySearch confirms that Patrick McIloon, born 9 November 1855 in Old Monkland, was the son of John McIloon and Isabella Martin.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

I think checking the death entry for John McAloon in 1886 is a good next step. Hoping it shows his parents as John McAloon and Margaret Monaghan..... ::)

The 1855 birth of Patrick should give you the birth place for both John and wife Isabella. 1855 is a magic year for BMDs in Scotland. It was the first year of official registration in Scotland and lots of extra info was included for that year only.

The birth reg should also include the date and place of parents' marriage and how many children had been born following the marriage (alive/deceased, boys/girls).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I think John Snr had a sister living nearby in Scotland, Ann McAloon wife of a Michael
Trower.

This is Ann and her family in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15008ef4040b9d6e0a6cc1/anne-trower-1851-lanarkshire-old-monkland-1816-?locale=en

Michael and Ann also had an 1855 baby which will let you confirm details the same way as John and Isabella:

John Trower born on 5 April 1855 Old Monkland,Lanark,Scotland

In later years, enquiries relating to their daughter Unity Trower in respect of confirmation of abode in Ireland years earlier included the details below:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Ann McAloon/Trower died in Old Monkland at the age of 52 in 1871. Parents John McAloon and Margaret Monaghan.

Monica

Offline kazdez

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 March 22 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I had a quick look at this with maybe partial success, I might have found the family but not the county in Ireland. My thinking was if the family was in Old Monkland in 1851 and 1871 then there was a good chance of a difference in surname transcribing or indexing in 1861.

So searching on SP for surnames beginning with M you could maybe have a look for this census entry and see what you think? Looks like somebody was having an off day.

652/2 4/ 20
RD Old Monkland (Middle District)
Bank Street Ingles Land
John MONDAY 41 Furnace Filler
Bell 40
John 18
James 14
Ann 11
Marget 8
Patrick 5
Thomas 3

There are also few viewable trees on Ancestry for the family if you have a sub to that? All seem to give Donegal as John's county of birth but I don't know what record that info has come from.

Hope this helps a bit
Duncan

Duncan Thank you, This looks very similar to my family.  And I am aware of mis-spelling and transcriptions of names,  I would love to see the original record, to see if the name was indeed misspelled.
As for the Donegal, the McAloon name appears in Donegal as McLoone and in the records that were available in 1856-1866 or there abouts there were only about 54 families with the name of McLoone.  There are also McAloon names in Fermanagh, just across the border, but as of yet not touched on them, as I was hoping to find at least a county in Ireland, to start with.
Thank you I will keep looking. 
Regards Karen

Offline kazdez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 March 22 06:26 GMT (UK) »
If you can find them in the Scottish 1861 census, it should, unlike the others, tell you at least a county of birth in Ireland. The other possibility is that if they had a child born in Scotland in 1855, that year (and only that year) gives the ages of the parents and their parish(es) of birth on the birth certificate.

If you know they had any brothers or sisters in Scotland, you could also try to find the same for them, which would give you an indication of where the family had been based in Ireland.

Thank you for that information about birth's in 1855.  One of the children, Patrick, I think was born in November of 1855.  I will try and chase this up.
Regards Karen

Offline kazdez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 March 22 06:32 GMT (UK) »
I think John Snr had a sister living nearby in Scotland, Ann McAloon wife of a Michael
Trower.

This is Ann and her family in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15008ef4040b9d6e0a6cc1/anne-trower-1851-lanarkshire-old-monkland-1816-?locale=en

Michael and Ann also had an 1855 baby which will let you confirm details the same way as John and Isabella:

John Trower born on 5 April 1855 Old Monkland,Lanark,Scotland

In later years, enquiries relating to their daughter Unity Trower in respect of confirmation of abode in Ireland years earlier included the details below:

Thank you Monica, I did not know about a possible sister, so this will also be a check up for me.  It's funny that Ann and Michael had a daughter called Unity, because my Nana was Unity McAloon, daughter of James McAloon and Catherine McMorrow - so a connect could be found. 
Thank you I will keep trying.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 March 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the original record
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register (if you have not already done so) and invest in a few credits. Use some of them to view the original census, and a few more to view that 1855 birth certificate. You'll still have some left for when you want to view another document.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.