Author Topic: Welsh Maps and distances between farms, hamlets etc  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Roy48

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh Maps and distances between farms, hamlets etc
« on: Wednesday 02 March 22 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I seem to remember coming across a website where you could search for a village or an even smaller place in Wales, such as a specific farm, and then it would be shown on a map and there was a pull-down menu listing the names of places within a very short distance, just a few kilometres, and you could select one of them and then a similar list of places close to that would be displayed. 

I thought the site was either the Tithe Map site, or Coflein, or somewhere on Genuki but I cannot find a pull-down menu like the one I seem to remember.  It is possible to calculate distances between farms if you can find them on a printed map by measuring the distance with a ruler or tape measure and doing a calculation, but only if they are on the same map.

Google Maps and other services might tell you the distance along roads etc. but does anyone know of a website that will give you straight line distances between two points such as two farms in the way I described?

Roy

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Maps and distances between farms, hamlets etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 22 09:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Maps and distances between farms, hamlets etc
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 22 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***