Author Topic: Robson help!  (Read 723 times)

Offline tauporainbow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robson help!
« on: Saturday 05 March 22 21:09 GMT (UK) »
William Robson married my GGAunt Isabella Mofffit (various spellings) (Apr-Jun 1867- Auckland, Durham 10a 257).  I'm aware only that they had two children (Margaret Ann - 1870, Winlaton, Durham) and John Henry - 1874 , Winlanton, Durham). 
I have John Henry's line (he married Elizabeth Margaret Thompson in 1899 (Middlesbro, Yorkshire)) but cannot trace anything for Margaret Ann.  Maybe I'm just 'thick'!
Can anyone give me an ancestral lead on William (1841 - 1921) and his daughter Elizabeth Margaret?
Gordon Stevenson

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robson help!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to ancesty? Margaret Ann Robson appears on a tree there:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/154591571/person/412041297464//facts

It looks like she married Robert Fryer Roddham in Gateshead in Q3 1899.
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 22 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm aware only that they had two children (Margaret Ann - 1870, Winlaton, Durham)

Can anyone give me an ancestral lead on William (1841 - 1921) and his daughter Elizabeth Margaret?
I think you are confusing her with Elizabeth Margaret Thompson?

The tree on Ancestry referred to above shows her mother as Isabella Liddle - not Moffitt
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 22 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Winlaton came under the Gateshead RD

Births Sept 1869 
Robson    Margaret Ann    Gateshead    10a   727   mmn is Liddle

Births Mar 1870 
Robson    Margaret Ann   Gateshead    10a   737 mmn is Battensby

ROBSON, JOHN  HENRY  mmn     LIDDELL     
GRO Reference: 1873  J Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 946
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 March 22 23:02 GMT (UK) »
You have the wrong marriage & the wrong 1871 entry.  If your G/G Aunt was Isabella Moffitt - she was not the mother of those 2 children

Marriages December qtr 1868   
Liddell    Isabella   Gateshead 10a   835      
Robson    William   

Where and when was Isabella Moffitt born?    

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 22 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Your Isabella was married to William Robson 22/4/1867 Hunwick, Durham.

On 1871 census she is in Heworth, Durham living with her brother Archibald (Moffat), wife Eleanor, 2 children then Isabella Robson b.1847 Heworth, widow with a son James aged 1 month.   His birth registered Jun.qtr.1871 Gateshead, mmn Moffett.

She had in fact had 2 earlier sons - Thomas Edward birth Dec.1867 Auckland and William birth Sept.1869 Auckland (think he died Sept.qtr.1871) - and in 1871 Whickham, Durham they are shown living with William and Agnes Copeland (nee Moffet and Isabella's sister) and family, shown as nephews.   Both the boys born in Hunwick.  So, husband Wiilliam Robson must have died 1870/1871 and by 1871 census she has moved back to Heworth where she gave birth to her youngest son and the 2 others are with her married sister.

Isabella did not remarry and in 1881/1891/1901 is in Heworth with her 2 sons - in 1911 in Hebburn with youngest son.

Annette

Note birthplaces alternate between Heworth and Felling for this family.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline tauporainbow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Annette,
Wow! I think I have this family of my 2nd Great Aunt all stuffed up! 
I need to restart with Isabella Moffitt (various spellings) (1846 - 1933), daughter of Roger Moffat (various spellings) (1802 - 1885) & Catherine Fobster (various spellings) (1810 - 1889), as I have seven children to this marriage and no Archibald Moffat!
Good thing winter is coming here and I can then spend more time looking.

Catherine Moffat (various spellings) (1844 - 1923) was my G Grandmother.  She married James Crookshanks (various spellings) (1836 - 1905).  Her parents were Roger Moffat (above) and Catherine Fobster (above).  From here back the 'Moffat' waters, for me, get muddy!  My records (not confirmed) show that they had seven children, Ann, Elizabeth, Jane, Roger, Catherine, Isabella & Jemima. All born Durham. 

Where I'm heading with this is to try and follow the Moffat (various spellings) line back.  To be honest I think I'll have to subscribe to Ancestry in a month or so as I really don't know where I'm going.  If, by any means you can confirm that Roger and Catherine had seven children that would be a help. 

Offline tauporainbow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 01:16 GMT (UK) »
CarolW.  I appreciate the information you have given me.  Thank you.  As I have said to Annette7 I'm confused and need to do more research.  Thanks again, Gordon.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I was going from your opening post in which you said William Robson married Isabella Moffitt 1867 and everything I posted related to that.   You hadn't previously mentioned her parents.

The Isabella who married William Robson was bc.1847 Heworth, dau. of William and Isabella and she did indeed have a brother Archibald and sister Agnes as I mentioned.

The Isabella who you are relating to, dau. of Roger and Catherine, was bc.1846 South Shields - so unfortunately your opening statement was incorrect in that she did not marry a William Robson in 1867.

So it's back to square 1 - your initial information is wrong and consequently what I subsequently posted is wrong.   What made you think that your Isabella had married a William Robson??

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.