Author Topic: Calling emigration experts!  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calling emigration experts!
« on: Wednesday 09 March 22 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!
I'm new on here and hope you might be able to help me?

I'm looking to find my grandma Gertrude Ross Nee Stephen, originally from Aberdeen.

She was born 16th June 1907 in Aberdeen.
She married John Fowler Ross in 1925. He joined the army (Royal Scots 2nd Battalion) 6 months later.
In 1930 Gertrude is in Edinburgh. She gives birth to my dad on 2nd March, 1930 and gives him away when he is 6 weeks old. According to John Fowler Ross's service records, he was abroad in Egypt/India/China when my dad was conceived and born, which points to the fact my dad was illegitimate.

After having my dad, Gertrude disappears from the records completely! I can not find her ANYWHERE! There's been some lovely Scottish family history experts who have been trying to help me find her in Scotland. But we keep coming up against brick walls! So this leads me to think she may have emigrated and died abroad.

Do any of you know ho I might go about trying to find her? I feel I've tried just about everything!
Her Auntie Isabella and mother Margaret (Maggie) Jane are also missing. Can't find death certificates for them. Did they emigrate together?

I won't go into details here but this is a link to my original search thread...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859799.0

I've been searching 11 years for her in Scotland I think it's about time I widened my search but I'm unsure how to do so and what records are available etc! 😂
REALLY hoping someone on here might be able to help me!
Thank you SO much in advance!  🙏

Moderator comment: please post any information on the topic on the Aberdeenshire board - link above.  Thank you