Author Topic: London Gazette Help please ?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Gazette Help please ?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 March 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
An Ancestry User Julie replied to him on the Dec 20 Messageboard saying she seen his Post on another Site and someone found 8533 J Parry and he was on Fold 3 also
But no one has confirmed the Address on Fold3 to confirm we have the right John Parry
I am happy with my Tree Research from Karl back through his Mother to her Father John son of this John
But we have no Real evidence to confirm he was in the King's or that this is him.
Fold3 may solve it all.
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 March 22 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I saw Parry's photo and lengthy discussion re the MM on another site. Can't recall which one now.
There was about 4 or 5 pages worth of discussion. From what little I read there appeared to be some confusion over the J Parry in question. I don't think the confusion was resolved.
[/quote]

This topic was posted by someone called Karl in January 2020 on the Great War Forum. The confusion of who John parry was and his Military Medal was never resolved. What was resolved was that he had previously enlisted into the 3rd Liverpool Regiment in 1903 under the service number of 7943 and that he was aged 17 years 10 months, the discussion on the GWF comes to the conclusion that he gave an incorrect age when he enlisted in 1903.

His 1903 paperwork exists on Find My Past, link shown below. Also, if anyone wishes to read the post / discussion on the GWF, I have shown the link below as well (you will see a photo of the man himself)

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0193%2f262%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f193%2f1162225

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/278102-ramc-soldier/

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 March 22 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Pension card shows: (snip courtesy of Western Front association)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 March 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I did a free search in the 1921 census, for surname Parry, specifying the address as Southey Street (per that pension card)
There's a John Henry Parry (born 1887) , Annie Parry (born 1884) and a John Parry (born 1910) in the same household.
Your contact would need to see the image to be sure of the house number, but if the lady and child are a match for what he knows about the family it would be well worth purchasing the image.

Boo

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 March 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
This topic was posted by someone called Karl in January 2020 on the Great War Forum.
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/278102-ramc-soldier/

That's the one! I couldn't recall his actual name (Karl) but I remembered his username ("Toast").

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo and everyone
All the above research confirms we have the right John Parry
He married Annie Roberts and had a Son John in 1910
He was at Sea 1911 on the Carmenia
Wife Annie at Home with baby John on 1911 Census
Will look at 1921 Census when next at National Library of Wales in a few days and get free screenprint.
Baby John married a Muriel Mary Trump and had a Daughter Lucky Victoria Parry who married a Roger Edward Inglott and had a Son Karl
All we need now is solve what happened to the MM award
Will visit Crosby Library next week when back there His MM award is bound to be listed in the Bootle Times 1916/17

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 13:26 GMT (UK) »

Found he was Silver Badged Discharged on 14 June 1916 as Pte 33574 John Parry

I believe that you have attributed your SWB information to the wrong man.

John Thomas Parry (33574) enlisted on the 25th August 1914 into the Manchester Regiment. He gave his age as 38 years and 4 months. He declared that he was born in Duckenfield, Cheshire and that he worked as a collier. He was married (wife Ellen) and he resided at 19 Peel Street, Ashton under Lyne. He transferred into the 2 Liverpool Regiment on the 4th November 1915 and to the 3 Liverpool Regiment on the 29th April 1916. (please see image attached).

The John Parry that you are looking at (service number 8533) originally enlisted in May 1903 (service number 7943) giving an incorrect age. (see snip of image of attestation). You can see a notation in red ink 'joined ????? 27 July 1903'. I then looked for a SWB entry for a John Parry that gave an enlisted date of 1903, either May 1903 or July 1903. I found that a John Parry (9533) of the 3rd Battalion Liverpool Regiment, was medically discharged on the 10th May 1917. Please note his enlistment date, i.e. 27/7/03 (snip of image attached). I am sure that this is the man that you are looking at despite the slight difference in service numbers. (I can not find a Parry with the number 9533 in the Liverpool Regiment). I also attach his SWB card.

Still trying to find his MM entry in the London Gazette.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AllanUK
- Yes it hit me last night in bed after you posted that Fold3 Pension Card
that his 1917 Silver War Badge Discharge date of 1917
didn't match the 1916 one that I had found for 33574
So needed further investigation
Odd that the Medal card says 9533 but the Pension Card says 8533

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Goodness knows what happened to his MM entry in the LG. I hope that you find something when you search the Bootle Times. I have searched all available Liverpool / Lancashire newspapers as held by the BNA but nothing found. Please post if you make any headway.