Author Topic: Alderney Marriage - PENGELLY/GOSNEY  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Claremd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alderney Marriage - PENGELLY/GOSNEY
« on: Monday 14 March 22 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Alderney Marriage - PENGELLEY/GOSNEY

William Henry PENGELLY/PENGELLEY
Caroline GOSNEY

I would really appreciate some help with a twenty year search for my GG Grandfather early history.

I have him and his wife in the 1861 census living in St Anne Alderney. They then emigrated from there to New Zealand.

I can't pin down or verify where he was before. Over the years I have researched many many trails and the most likely is that he is from St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Listed as Willi aged 3 in 1841 census with parents John and Marguerite.This fits with his 1838 dob.

He did marry Caroline GOSNEY of Fording bridge, New Hampshire, England in abt. 1860. I'm not sure where but they then show up in Alderney.

Any help or information would be much appreciated
Regards Clare Pengelly Smith

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Alderney Marriage - PENGELLY/GOSNEY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 22 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

1861 Alderney for the benefit of those trying to help

Somerset Place, St Anns, Alderney
William Pengelley age 22 occ Mason born England
Caroline Pengelley age 17 occ Dressmaker born England
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

I havent tried to check this yet but a Tree has the William with Parents John//Marg arriving in Australia 1854

Arrival
25 November 1854 • Adelaide South Australia Australia
On the Evening Star. John, 52, cabinet maker, Margaret, 51, wife. Thomas, 19, blacksmith. William, 17, carpenter. Alfred, 15. Emma, 13. Eliza, 9.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 22 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish  :)

That family are in St Peter Port in 1851 - their William is a Carpenters apprentice
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG8P-M4H
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes I dont think they are his Family as William is a Mason;

21 Jan 1865 • Cornwall, England
Arrived NZ 7 May 1865 - ship Greyhound Shipping Records - yesteryears.co.nz
William Henry 28 Mason
Caroline 21
George 3
William Henry 4 mths

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 22 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Are there no Parents named on Williams NZ Death Cert?

Trish :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 22 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I note that when he arrived in NZ it was as William Henry Pengelly but just plain William on 1861 census.   He was a Mason and shown bc.1838 England.

An awful lot of people emigrating seemed to give themselves a second christian name for some reason and I think this may be the case here.

Until a marriage certificate is located I would suggest that William was the son of a John Pengelly/variants and Mary Ann West who married 1/4/1826 Kea, Cornwall.   They had 6 children baptised together on 19/5/1839 Kea one of which was a William - census suggests he was born ca.1837.   His father John was a Mason in 1841/1851 but said William disappears after 1851 census.   In 1861 his younger brother Richard was a Mason like his father.

Since this William 'disappears' after 1851 census, his father and at least one brother were also Mason's, I think he is a strong contender to be 'your' William.

Hopefully the marriage certificate can be located to confirm or refute this.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
You would need to verify if this information is correct there is no marriage details for William & Caroline nee Gosney and no source details for birth of their sons George & William
tree details https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/portrait/KCF5-MPQ some of the details given

William Pengelly b1837 Alderney, Bailiwick of Guernsey died 23 July 1912 NZ
parents
John Pengelly b 1816 West Looe, St Nicholas Cornwall &
Susan Brown  b1809 West Looe, Cornwall

an 1841 census entry has been linked for
John , Susan , Richard  & William Pengelly age 2 living Fore Street, East Looe father occ mariner, they are ALL noted as born in this County https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQB7-F2J. so I don't think this can be the correct 1841 census if your William Pengelly was born in Guernsey  ???  and baptism of  Richard Brown Pengelly & William Pengelly on the same day (1839) father John's occ Sailor mother Susan
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6313-M5Z?i=4&cc=1769414

List the same 1865 immigration as Trish posted http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rcu/

Son George John Pengelly born April 1861 Alderney Bailiwick of Guernsey
1936 Probate record https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/sources/GHPK-VZK

Son William Henry Pengelly born 18 July 1864 Alderney, Bailiwick of Guernsey

5 other children named all born New Zealand

National Archives  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rcv/  has this info. for Channel Islands: Civil and parish registers

Visit the Priaulx Library for civil records for Guernsey from 1840, Alderney from 1850, and for parish registers for the Bailiwick of Guernsey (c1570-present), and the Jersey Heritage Research Centre for indexes to civil and parish registers for Jersey.

Definitely worth keeping in mind the info. that Annette has provided due to occupation Mason and as Annette mentions trying to locate the marriage certificate as this should confirm his father's name & occupation. If the marriage and births are in Alderney a visit is needed to the Prialux Library (they have selected records) https://www.priaulxlibrary.co.uk/collections/family-history overseas researchers can make use of the library's paid research services.
If you require a specific record from a register they will search within a date range of a maximum of ten years and supply either a paper or digital copy - cost is £15 per lookup

Are there no Parents named on Williams NZ Death Cert?

You probably have these burial details from Anc*y New Zealand, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007
Avonside Christchurch Row Q 299. PENGELLY
Frank d 13 Oct 1882    a 15
Walter d 18 July 1884  a 14
William Henry d 23 July 1912  a 74 (so he was born c1838)
Caroline d 5 Oct 1926                 a 83
Gwendoline Dora a 3 years
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/186410003/caroline-pengelly
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claremd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 05:49 GMT (UK) »
WOW That's a great amount of information given so quickly. Thank you all so much. I have put off using Rootsweb as I find it a bit daunting. Having read all the beginner guides I hope I've followed correct procedure. I will answer each of your replies below

Rosie - Thanks for the welcome. Yes correct you have the right census entry for my folk.

Trish - The family you mention are the Ch. island family I thought may be correct but I had actually forgotten in my research of many, many William Henry Pengelly that they proved to be incorrect. Probably confused myself with the Alderney census entry. Also there is a ancestry contributer attached to that family who regularly turns up in my research and attached to docs etc that I know are correct to my William.  Thank you for reminding me if this Australia emigration record.
Yes - correct shipping record
My goodness Trish, you are a gem. I have been so focused on finding a marriage certificate or a birth certificate that I never thought to order his death certificate. So obvious. I will do that and see what transpires.

Annette - My family has a long history in masonry. Both William and his sons worked on many prominent cathedrals and buildings in Christchurch, New Zealand.  It's very interesting to hear about the middle name addition. That has been a factor in my eliminations.
William of Kea, Cornwall was my main contender for over a decade until I put that on the back burner not finding any verification of that possibility. Then due to Alderney connection I focussed on any Channel Islands possibilities.. zthe Gosney family also has a strong connection with the islands. My notes on William of Kea are so old (on paper even) that I don't even. Follow them all lol. I will revisit.

Ladyhawk - Thanks for all the links re William, Caroline and sons. Yes, I do have all that info. From Alderney forward I pretty much have everything. I should have said so in my original post. I am sorry. I was trying to be succinct as recommended lol.

William of East Looe has been eliminated as he shows in the 1861 UKCEN when my William is in Alderney.

Thank you very much for the up to date Prialux info esp charges. I may have to contract them to look as travel options are a tad limited still🙄. Good idea.

Luckily the family plot in Avonside is still intact following the Christchurch earthquake. Funnily enough I got married at this church(pre quake when it was irreparably damaged sadly) and at that time didn't even know my ancestors were there with me on the day!

All in all that's a great response and I very much appreciate all your time. Plus you have given me some ideas going forward. Many thanks to you all once again.
Regards Clare 😀