Author Topic: Hyman/James/Stephany  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Jonestree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hyman/James/Stephany
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 June 22 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again AnnMartin

I forgot to add that my brother in law's Aunt Till (Matilda Cogan - BIRTH 7 NOV 1896 • Wandsworth, England DEATH OCT 1978 • Bromley, Greater London, England - 1st cousin 1x removed of brother-in-law)
married John James (Hyman?) (John James 1887– BIRTH 28 MAR 1887)
possibly William and Ellen Hyman's younger brother.

Kind regards :)

Offline Annmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 June 22 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello AnnMartin
I have been researching my brother in law's family and his grandfather was William Hyman (born about 1881 in Wandsworth) and from what I can see he is the William Hyman brother of Ellen Hyman (James).  William married Mary Cogan and their daughter was my brother in law's mother, Mary.  He was always confused about his birth certificate because his mother's maiden name on it was James - even though he thought her maiden name was Mary Hyman.  I can see why you are confused as I came to a standstill trying to find out more about William Hyman's family.  In 1891 they are living at 18 Fentons Cottages, Garratt Lane and in 1901 the childrens' names are more or less the same but the address is now 18 Jubilee Cottages, Garratt Lane.  Whereas John Hyman and Fanny were the parents in 1891 it is Louisa in 1901.  It is all very muddled and the question is if and why did they change their name to James.  Just thought I'd let you know that I have a similar enigma.
Kind regards  :) :)
Hello
Thank you so much for your message. 
firstly, just wow!  I have been trying to find out information from estranged family members, who are either harbouring a  huge secret, or just do not know any answers to my questions.
I have done quite a lot of research since this post, and believe I may have found more name changes, and am happy to share any information I have with you.
Attfield
Betteridge
Gander
Herbert
Hewlett
Bailey

Offline Annmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 June 22 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello AnnMartin
I have been researching my brother in law's family and his grandfather was William Hyman (born about 1881 in Wandsworth) and from what I can see he is the William Hyman brother of Ellen Hyman (James).  William married Mary Cogan and their daughter was my brother in law's mother, Mary.  He was always confused about his birth certificate because his mother's maiden name on it was James - even though he thought her maiden name was Mary Hyman.  I can see why you are confused as I came to a standstill trying to find out more about William Hyman's family.  In 1891 they are living at 18 Fentons Cottages, Garratt Lane and in 1901 the childrens' names are more or less the same but the address is now 18 Jubilee Cottages, Garratt Lane.  Whereas John Hyman and Fanny were the parents in 1891 it is Louisa in 1901.  It is all very muddled and the question is if and why did they change their name to James.  Just thought I'd let you know that I have a similar enigma.
Kind regards  :) :)
Hello
Thank you so much for your message. 
firstly, just wow!  I have been trying to find out information from estranged family members, who are either harbouring a  huge secret, or just do not know any answers to my questions.
I have done quite a lot of research since this post, and believe I may have found more name changes, and am happy to share any information I have with you.
I will check this against my information later, but it does sound right.  I have also sent you a message.
Kind regards
Ann
Attfield
Betteridge
Gander
Herbert
Hewlett
Bailey