Author Topic: Grandparents married in Hull  (Read 91614 times)

Offline uksouthafrica

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandparents married in Hull
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 18:10 BST (UK) »
Response to # 70 & 71
Thank you to both! How amazing! In 1985 I searched through St Marks church register for Father’s baptism dated 1906, not thinking to look for a later date. Sorry I missed #5 - I have much to learn … your replies are very helpful. I must now ask myself where to now?
I met with my cousin Paul Batchelder today after 60 yrs (son of Edward James) who mentioned that their dad had died (must be Arthur) and that the British family were from Croydon? He knew nothing more.
PS I got billed very heavily by Heritage.com today (registered before I found Rootschat) - I paid but how do I deregister? Very concerned…

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 20:45 BST (UK) »
I think, (after some googling) that if you click on your name top right of the MyHeritage.com homepage you will get a drop down menu.
In either “Account Settings” or “My Purchases”  there should be an option to turn OFF the autorenew that has probably been set.

Meanwhile make the most of it and print off the census sheets we have outlined earlier.
Also, you probably can follow those families in England forward to find more descendants of James Batchelder and Naomi Warren.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
You ask, “Where to now?”
This depends entirely on what you want to know about your ancestors (how curious you are), and what time you want to spend searching for information.
From the family chart supplied (updated copy attached) you could begin to compile your own family tree.
You might like more information about Fredrick Warren’s mother, Sophia Margaret.
You may want to find out about Arthur Asher’s siblings that remained in England, or search for earlier generations of the family.
There are things you might like to do closer to home. For example - have you tried to find the house at 17 Wicht St, where your father was living in 1922?    You might wish to find out more about Frederick Warren’s older brothers Harold and Alpha Arthur who would appear to have descendants still living in South Africa.
You might find more information from the Cape Town Family History Society, or the Genealogical Society of South Africa.

There are these items obtainable from National Archives of South Africa which might be of interest, and further your research. There may well be other items to find.

•   1885   CO 4246    B81    MEMORIAL. ARTHUR BATCHELDER. REQUESTING EMPLOYMENT.
•   1894   CSC    2/6/1/148    2    MOTION. PETITION OF CATHERINE BATCHELDER (BORN VAN BLOMMESTEIN) TO SUE HER HUSBAND ARTHUR BATCHELDER IN FORMA PAUPERIS FOR JUDICIAL SEPARATION.   
•   1952   1/WBG  110    33/2/4/47/53    SOCIAL WELFARE. PROTECTION OF CHILDREN. CONTRIBUTION ORDER. EDWARD W BATCHELDER      
•   1972   CSC    2/1/1/3922    4443    ILLIQUID CASE. RESTITUTION OF CONJUGAL RIGHTS. WALTER ALFRED PALMER VERSUS CHRISTINA JOHANNA PETRONELLA PALMER (FORMERLY BATCHELDER, BORN CONRADIE)   

Regarding your father’s baptism in 1922.  This is some information about Frederick Warren’s God parents / Sponsors named at baptism.

Charles Frederick KANNEMEYER (Mixed race) born 1.7.1887; died 1947 Chester Rd Woodstock
He married 1905 Maria Caroline HARRIS.
He worked for the S.A. Railways as a shunter & train recorder

Henry Joseph HAUPT (European) b. 1875; d. 4 April 1922 ,
He married 1902 Caroline STEMMET
Lived at 7 Wicht St, Woodstock  (just down the street from Frederick Warren at 17 Wicht St)
He worked as a mineral water maker; died from an accidental explosion of the mineral water machinery, just a few weeks after the baptism.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline uksouthafrica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 31 March 22 07:22 BST (UK) »
Response to #73/74
Such useful information here, thank you so much.
Wicht street does not seem to exist anymore - but I’ll drive around and ask.
I have a lot of researching to do.
I have also contacted a 43 yr old Mark Batchelder who has a Harold in the lineage - he is starting his own search because we thought we weren’t related.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 31 March 22 07:25 BST (UK) »
If you search for Wicht St, Richmond, CapeTown (on Google maps) you will find it. A very small street.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wicht+St,+Richmond,+Cape+Town,+South+Africa/@-33.9069099,18.57479,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x1dcc5a53e938f1ff:0xc89b1dc184050c77!8m2!3d-33.907758!4d18.5751709

I have also contacted a 43 yr old Mark Batchelder who has a Harold in the lineage - he is starting his own search because we thought we weren’t related.
I feel certain Mark will be a relative. ;) The surname is quite distinctive in the Cape Town area.
That will be a good contact, and you can work together and share notes with him.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 31 March 22 15:07 BST (UK) »

It might be worth considering DNA when an offer comes up?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 31 March 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
That's amazing ..thanks for posting the updates

The south African  court clips can throw up some gems  .I was helped that way too .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline uksouthafrica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:22 BST (UK) »
Response to #76,77,78
Thank you to all.
DNA would be most interesting. Mark and I have so many similar character traits.
I did google a shop in the Wicht street area - will have a closer look thanks.
I am keen to look for Sophie Margaret's history.

Offline Little_Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 16:15 GMT (UK) »
May I just say 'Thank You' to the group!

I've been exploring the BATCHELDER line on behalf of a distant cousin. Her line is:
Arthur Albert Noel BATCHELDER (father)
Alpha Arthur BATCHELDER (Grandfather)

and this was as far as I'd got until I happened upon your chat.
So thank you.

I'm assuming that her Gt Grandfather (Arthur Asher BATCHELDER) emigrated from London to Cape Town where he met his wife (Catherine Sarah VAN BLOMMESTEIN)?

I'm comfortable investigating UK ancestors but struggling with SA info so anything more that you can tell me would be much appreciated.

Tim