Author Topic: Orange Family Surname  (Read 2880 times)

Offline DownUnder33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orange Family Surname
« on: Friday 18 March 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, im looking for any information on the Orange family in the Newcastle area from the early to mid 1900s. Particularly looking for an Alice Orange, who is my grandmother, but have very scarce information about her.

I have a recently received my fathers birth certificate from the Norfolk Archive team and unfortunately all that is listed is her name, and home residence at the time. Even the father section was not listed, which leads me to believe this was a tryst (though the father is 98% sure to be known). He was born in 1941, so would put her own birth year at approx 1915 +- 10 years.

Any information or directions is greatly appreciated. I am a member with Ancestry and no luck there, as well as the FreeBMD site.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Family Surname
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 22 14:15 GMT (UK) »
There is an Alice Orange b July 1911 on 1939 register with husband Alma and 3 children Ronald ,George and redacted

Harmsworth west Yorkshire

Could this be her if your father was born after
Her husband's death or refused to acknowledge the child .

Have you ruled that one out ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 22 14:41 GMT (UK) »
The maiden name for the mother of the George and Ronald Orange on that 1939 Rehister found by Brigidmac -- is Spencer.

Both boys births registered in Hemsworth, Yorkshire.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 22 14:44 GMT (UK) »
An Alma Orange married an Alice Spencer in Q/E June 1930 Hemsworth Reg Dist.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 22 14:54 GMT (UK) »
If this IS the correct family then the actual marriage of Alma to Alice can be viewed on Ancestry in the West Yorkshire marriages dataset.

Father of Alma was Reuben Beverley Orange - and of Alice Spencer - John Erwan? Spencer. This Alice was 18 as at the marriage date of 22 April 1930.
Places of interest;

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 March 22 15:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism - 1 April, 1908 - Handsworth Woodhouse

Alma Orange - parents Reuben Beverley Orange (Miner) and Ann of Woodhouse.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 22 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there is no birth in 1941 - BUT there is one in Q/E March 1942 for someone with the correct surname and the same mother's maiden name. This is going off the original posters message - but I can't name them as they may still be alive.

Again this is in Hemsworth Reg Dist. Yorkshire - not Newcastle.
Places of interest;

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Please bear in mind we are not allowed to name or discuss living people in Rootschat.

As your father was born in Norfolk, what is it you have that links the family to Newcastle?

Not knowing if Alice's birth surname was Orange, or if perhaps she had married someone called Orange makes it difficult :-)

Working first on it being her birth surname:

A free Advanced Search of the 1921 register for Alice Orange brings up a possible born 1907, in Ryton Co. Durham (just over the river from Newcastle)  and she was living in Newcastle. Hovering over the image icon shows me that there was a Magdalene S and a Susannah in the same household.

Back to the search and I looked for Magdalene S (no surname specified) living in Newcastle and specified another person in the household as Alice Orange
I repeated that for Susannah

and got Magdalene S Moore, born 1872, Newcastle and Susannah Moore, born 1874, Newcastle

Checking on the GRO births register, this girl's birth was registered in Gateshead District in Q4 1907 and the mother's maiden name is down as '-', which indicates she was illegitimate.

This looks likely to be the above Alice in the 1911 census which shows her as the adopted daughter of Magdalen Stokoe Moore
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWM8-RZN

(you need to be signed in to a free account on Family Search to see that transcript)

You should be able to search on Ancestry in the 1939 register in Newcastle (not on Family Search and we aren't allowed to do look ups).

No idea if this was 'your' Alice but IF Orange was her birth name then it should give you some idea of how to go about looking for other  'possibles'

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there is no birth in 1941 - BUT there is one in Q/E March 1942 for someone with the correct surname and the same mother's maiden name. This is going off the original posters message - but I can't name them as they may still be alive.

Again this is in Hemsworth Reg Dist. Yorkshire - not Newcastle.

Hi Pennines,
I can see a possible birth for a named male in Norfolk in Q4 1941 on FreeBMD that matches with what the OP posted?
(again, can't give a name as the OP's father may still be alive)

Boo