Author Topic: Orange Family Surname  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Family Surname
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Well done Boo on some great firkling!
Unfortunately I have no finds to report myself. Just updating now that I have been able to search through several Northumberland South cemetery records yesterday and have not been able to locate an Alice Orange death registered 1951.  I presume that will be her registered under original married surname?
So I wonder if death took place there but she is buried elsewhere .. perhaps Newcastle?

Hi RTL, with so little info to go on, all I did was to find whatever I could for anyone listed as Alice Orange in the records in and around Newcastle

There was one whose birth name was Orange who shows up as being the 'adopted daughter' on a single lady called Magdalene Stokoe Moore. I think this one was most likely to be the lady who died in 1951 - but don't have anything to confirm that other than she is in the electoral registers as Alice Maud Orange.Though birth reg just says Alice, the death reg has Alice M.

and another whose birth surname was Lynam and she married a man called John Henry Orange.

I believe the second one is the more likely (but not certain) to be the lady who gave birth in 1941, Norfolk as she has a tentative link to the street address on the birth cert. Given those newspaper reports her death could have been registered in an entirely different name.

As ever, I just firkle about and find 'possibles', the OP would still need to check them out carefully to be more sure.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 12:09 GMT (UK) »
You have Smith Lynam and Alice at Warden Street, Newcastle in 1945.

Smith seems to have died 1973 registered Newcastle upon Tyne (d.o.b. 28 Oct 1898).

I do still wonder if 1951 Alice might be the relevant one.  (Although, I agree relevant Alice might be registered under completely different name.)  Also wonder if she might be in Elswick cemetery records as this I think was near Warden Street?
FamilySearch may have records but all I am getting is 'error' when I try to access so it might be down or is this just happening for me? 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline DownUnder33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 March 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
You have Smith Lynam and Alice at Warden Street, Newcastle in 1945.

Smith seems to have died 1973 registered Newcastle upon Tyne (d.o.b. 28 Oct 1898).

I do still wonder if 1951 Alice might be the relevant one.  (Although, I agree relevant Alice might be registered under completely different name.)  Also wonder if she might be in Elswick cemetery records as this I think was near Warden Street?
FamilySearch may have records but all I am getting is 'error' when I try to access so it might be down or is this just happening for me?
Im having trouble trying to verify which Alice passed away in 1951, looks like family trees on Ancestry are linking both names to the notice, frustrating.

Is it possible to attain death certificates in England, and if so, would it list birth year or mothers maiden name?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 March 22 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Oh DownUnder33 -- whilst you can obtain death certificates in England from July 1837 -- at the time you want one, birth dates are not shown. Just the age at death, as supplied by the informant.

I think it was 1969 when actual birth dates started being recorded - along with a maiden name of a female. (I am sure someone will kindly correct me on that if it's wrong.)

Unfortunately no parents names are shown unless it's a child's death maybe - or unless a parent is an informant and gives their status.

Hence - at the time in question, depending on who registered the death and where it took place, you may struggle to know whether it's your Alice. Alternatively though - you may be able to eliminate that person.

Just for future reference - and do forgive me if you know this, you can order certificates from the General Register Office. From there you can request a PDF copy or a paper copy (PDF contains the same info and is cheaper).

You will need to register if you do decide to order.

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 March 22 14:51 GMT (UK) »
As Pennines says the information on English death registrations at that time do not include dates of birth, just an age at death (as far as the informant is aware). IF the death was registered by a family member that could verify which Alice Orange it was, as could the usual address of the deceased.

This page tells you what information was included on each type of BMD certs in England & Wales, depending on when the event was registered
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/images/CG14.pdf

1951 electoral register Newcastle, has Susannah Moore, Magdalen S Moore, Alice Maud Orange at 28 St Mark's St.

1952 Register for that address has just Susannah Moore.

Alice M Orange death registered Q1 1951, Magdalen S Moore, death registered Q4 1951

So, its highly possible that the death reg for Alice M Orange in 1951 is the girl who was the adopted daughter of Magdalen- but its also possible that she married or had moved 'anywhere' outside England/Wales.

Sorry but sometimes finding out for sure does involve a financial cost for the relevant records.
You could try asking the tree owner if they have the actual cert (rather than a likely index entry)  and, if so, are willing to share the detail.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 March 22 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Back to firkling.
The online newspapers are notoriously problematic to search. The OCR is often garbled and the scans are frequently dire to try to read. 
Given a death reg of Q1 1951 for this Alice Maud Orange and an address of St Mark's Street, I have looked at every edition from 1st Jan to see IF I can make out a death notice that may match this death.
Thankfully I only had to look up to 23 Jan (for some of mine I have had to look through 3 months of newspapers, but often have had success)
The scan is not very good, but I believe this is what the entry says:

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 23 January 1951, page 9 col 2

ORANGE   28 St Mark's Street Jan 19, aged 43 years. Alice Maud adopted niece of the Misses Madeline Stokoe and Susannah Moore. Interment Heaton Cemetery Wednesday 1.30 p.m. Funeral Private.

So the death reg relates to the lady whose birth name was Orange and not the lady whose birth name was Lynam who married a John Henry Orange.

Boo

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 March 22 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic firkling again, Boo.

How strange to say 'adopted niece' - informative certainly, but we still do not know which Alice is the correct one unfortunately.

However your firkling saves getting a death cert - as we certainly know which person died in 1951.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 14:06 BST (UK) »
Well I may be ok at firkling, but I am obviously rubbish at looking 'properly' at records I find (which is one of the reasons I always refer to what I have found as 'possible' and that they need to be checked out rather than taken as being writ in stone).

Ok so the 1945 electoral register I posted about in reply 15 that is the tentative link of an Alice Orange to Warden St. and the Lynam family

Is correct,
BUT if I'd bothered to look back a few pages to the first page in that polling district I would have seen it was a 'Service Register', rather than a Civilian Residential Register. Its been bugging me that there was hardly anyone recorded in the streets on that page, so that prompted me to have another look.

So both Smith Lynam and Alice Orange were serving in the forces when that register was compiled.
Which adds a little more weight to this being the same lady that was in the A.T.S. and was up in court for bigamy.

Boo

Offline DownUnder33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 03:48 BST (UK) »
Just an update to confirm that Ticketyboo's research has officially checked out, my DNA results came back this morning and I have multiple matches for Stephen Lynam (Alice's father). Once again Tickety, your firkling was amazing, thankyou!