Author Topic: LEDDY FAMILY ... Early to mid 1800s and earlier  (Read 476 times)

Offline MarkLeddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEDDY FAMILY ... Early to mid 1800s and earlier
« on: Monday 21 March 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
According to my beginning research into my father's heritage, I have traced his family back to Cavan County.

The last name is LEDDY.

What I've found so far ...
My great-great-great-grandfather was JAMES LEDDY, born in Cavan County on or around 18 May 1826. He had a brother John (born 1817, Meath County) and a brother Michael (born 1824, Meath County) ... parents were Michael Leddy (b 1795 in Meath County) and Anne Plunkett (b 1785 ... county unknown in Ireland). While it seems Meath would be the place to start (I am posting this on that board, as well), Michael's father was Patrick Leddy, born in 1765 in Cavan County. So I'm not sure if the family originated in Cavan County and then moved to Meath Co. until just before the birth of my great-great-great-grandfather, returning 'home' to Cavan around 1825.

James moved to the United States in 1846.

If any of the names/dates I have listed match something anyone knows about a Leddy Family history in the early 1800s, I would appreciate as much information as possible. My father is 82 years old and doesn't know much about his family's heritage, so I'm trying to find out as much as possible as quickly as possible.

Thank you!

Offline janebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEDDY FAMILY ... Early to mid 1800s and earlier
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 23 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I'm also researching Leddys of Cavan. I will go into more detail in a future email for you. At present I know that Philip Leddy, born 1811 in Cavan married Margaret Maguire (sp?).She was born in 1816. I believe she was born about 1813. Not sure where she was born, but by the time she was 8 she lived in Crosserlough, Cavan County.

I am looking for the banns of marriage for Philip and Margaret. I do know they were married in Arva, (Arvaugh) in Apr, 1836. They left for Canada shortly after that. I have been told they had to leave because Philip an RC was involved in politics which was not accepted for RCs in Ireland at that time.