Author Topic: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955  (Read 583 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I cannot find the 1955 London electoral register on line
The dates I have asked for are the actual dates so the 1955 and 1956 Hertfordshire electoral roll for Stevenage is what I am looking for.

You have what you need in London from October 1954 and 1955, in Friern Barnet and Wood Green, the electoral registers for 1955 and 1956.
So how could your man be on the electoral register in Stevenage as well?

I have an official document (post office savings book) in which my father lists 42 Elbow Lane as his address in June -July 1955.

Again, he shouldn't be on the electoral register twice?

I contacted the Herts archives and they said they do not have the electoral years I want

They have Hitchin Division 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956.
https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media-library/documents/libraries/hals/electoral-registers-1832-.pdf

Are you sure your father owned any of these properties? Most people still rented back then.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 March 22 11:33 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has London telephone directories for 1955 (I'm not sure whether you need London or Outer London). A bit of a long shot, as you say they weren't there long and there was a waiting list for a 'phone.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Property or electoral roll records for 42 Elbow Lane Stevenage for 1954 and 1955
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions
it was a rabbit hole I went down (friends and neighbour related) and can be put on ice for now
I will leave it until access becomes a little easier

Tony