Author Topic: Assylinn Graveyard  (Read 446 times)

Offline PeterMcL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assylinn Graveyard
« on: Tuesday 22 March 22 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Australia,
Wondering if anyone could assist with finding a gravestone(s) in the Assylinn Graveyard.
I found an excert from the Roscommon Herald showing that Mary Sloan (Mary Ann McLean) d.1914 was interred at the Assylinn Graveyard. Also if her Mother, Susan McLean (Huston) and father, Samuel McLean may be there as well.
Many Thanks

Offline PeterMcL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Assylinn Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The "Roscommon Herald," of July 4, reports the death of Mrs. Mary Sloan, of Boyle, Ireland. The deceased lady was a sister of Mr. T. Hicks McLean, a Northcote  (Victoria, Australia) resident of 25 years' standing, and mayor of the municipality for two years in succession. Speaking of the late lady the "Herald' says:-" Mrs. Sloan, ,who .belonged to an old and respected Roscommon family, was the daughter of the late Mr. S. McLean, Boyle, whose name is treasured and honored in the history of the old town, was of an extremely charitable nature, and was foremost in every movement which tended for the uplifting of the community. Coupled with her esteemed husband, son and daughter, she did, throughout her life in Boyle, acts of charity and goodness which stand on record, and earned for herself in the affection of the people a monument more enduring than brass." Many wreaths were received from townsmen and public institutions of Boyle, and the remains were interred in Assylinn cemetery in the presence of a very large gathering of prominent citizens.

Offline PeterMcL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 01:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline kgmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 15:08 BST (UK) »
I visited the graveyard in Assylinn a couple of years ago when I was researching the Moraghan family. I took quite a number of photos of gravestones while I was there and posted them to the findagrave site

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2246759/assylinn-graveyard%EF%BB%BF

I only came across one gravestone that had the name Sloan and that was for a Sister Mary Theodosia Sloan who died in 1958.
Moore
Moraghan
Morahan
Kelly
Ganly
Goodswen

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Australia,
Wondering if anyone could assist with finding a gravestone(s) in the Assylinn Graveyard.
I found an excert from the Roscommon Herald showing that Mary Sloan (Mary Ann McLean) d.1914 was interred at the Assylinn Graveyard. Also if her Mother, Susan McLean (Huston) and father, Samuel McLean may be there as well.
Many Thanks

Hi Peter,

Mary Anne (McLean) Sloan was my great great grandmother. Along with my cousin, we visited Boyle and Assylinn in August 2022 where we found the family plot and laid flowers. We also searched for McLeans there as her father Samuel and mother Susan also died in Boyle but were unable to find them. Hoping I can attach pics of the Sloan grave here but if not may need to email them to you.

Trish
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong