Author Topic: George Pearse b abt 1820 Walkhampton  (Read 895 times)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George Pearse b abt 1820 Walkhampton
« on: Wednesday 23 March 22 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the parish baptism records for George Pearse, husband of Ann Hodder (they married in 1846, registered in Kingsbridge) - he appears in several census in Modbury with wife Ann (b 1819, Ugborough) with his place and date of birth as "Walkhampton", 1820.

The 1841 census before his marriage has him, aged "22", living in Ashburton with widowed mother Mary Pearse, aged "60". This brings up a blank on FindMyPast in terms of baptism records

All I can find on FindMyPast is a 23 APR 1821, North Brentor, Lamerton, Devon for a baptism - however the mother's name is wrong - Joanne

all the others are a bit far away from Walkhampton or the dates are a bit too far from 1820

Any ideas?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Pearse b abt 1820 Walkhampton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming that you do not have a copy of the 1846 marriage - that would hopefully give you George's father's name.  The 1821 baptism you found gives a further forename for George of Sweet, and his parents being John and Joanna.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Devon FHS have a transcription of a baptism for a George Pearce 6 December 1818 in Walkhampton. Parents Richard and Mary.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Devon FHS have a transcription of a baptism for a George Pearce 6 December 1818 in Walkhampton. Parents Richard and Mary.

Many Thanks, I found the entry on FindMyPast. I didn't think to try different spellings for the surname

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming that you do not have a copy of the 1846 marriage - that would hopefully give you George's father's name.  The 1821 baptism you found gives a further forename for George of Sweet, and his parents being John and Joanna.

Thankyou, the marriage details (parents etc) were not available on FindMyPast because it was a civil marriage and not a parish one

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 22 11:50 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate can be ordered here for £11
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_ew_marriage_quoted.asp?APPLICATION_ID=5T6E7381A7IA95C12T74SIZEGB1P5AEUALH
George Pearse, 3rd Qtr, 1846, Kingsbridge, Vol 9, page 425.

This may be the only way to possibly confirm his father’s name is to purchase the marriage certificate I’m afraid.

I don’t think you have the right George in 1841 in Ashburton as he can be found there still in 1851 & 1861.

Also the George in 1841 is a carpenter (still is in later census records too) and as your George was a school teacher/master, I think it’s more likely that he is the George Pearce, 22, pupil at the Cathedral Yard Training School in Devon run by the Diocesan Board of Education.

Following the above find by Emeltom, there is the following….
1841 Peckhill Walkhampton
Richard Pearse, 60, farmer, bic
Mary Pearse, 55, bic

1851 Lethertor Cottage, Walkhampton
Richard Pearse, 76, retired farmer, b. Walkhampton
Mary Pearse, 70, b. Broadwoodwidger Devon

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 March 22 12:00 GMT (UK) »
This is the image of the baptism of George s/o Richard and Mary, 1818, Walkhampton

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99Q5-WG2X?i=42&cc=2515875&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQ2M3-6QTK
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 22 10:27 GMT (UK) »
This is the image of the baptism of George s/o Richard and Mary, 1818, Walkhampton

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99Q5-WG2X?i=42&cc=2515875&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQ2M3-6QTK

Thanks, I was able to get it from FindMyPast as well

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 March 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate can be ordered here for £11
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_ew_marriage_quoted.asp?APPLICATION_ID=5T6E7381A7IA95C12T74SIZEGB1P5AEUALH
George Pearse, 3rd Qtr, 1846, Kingsbridge, Vol 9, page 425.

This may be the only way to possibly confirm his father’s name is to purchase the marriage certificate I’m afraid.

I don’t think you have the right George in 1841 in Ashburton as he can be found there still in 1851 & 1861.

Also the George in 1841 is a carpenter (still is in later census records too) and as your George was a school teacher/master, I think it’s more likely that he is the George Pearce, 22, pupil at the Cathedral Yard Training School in Devon run by the Diocesan Board of Education.

Following the above find by Emeltom, there is the following….
1841 Peckhill Walkhampton
Richard Pearse, 60, farmer, bic
Mary Pearse, 55, bic

1851 Lethertor Cottage, Walkhampton
Richard Pearse, 76, retired farmer, b. Walkhampton
Mary Pearse, 70, b. Broadwoodwidger Devon

Jo  :)

Thanks Jo for all the info,

You are correct - those stupid ancestry hints aren't always correct! So many people make so many mistakes in their trees because of them. In this case - No connection with Ashburton at all.

He's not a central figure in my family tree, so not really worth spending the money on, just a periphery figure. He is just someone's husband. He married Ann Hodder in 1846 in Kingsbridge and died in 1902 in Modbury. In his wife's probate he is described as the schoolmaster at Modbury, (in his wife Ann's probate index from 1888), so you are correct about the
pupil at the Cathedral Yard Training School in Devon run by the Diocesan Board of Education.
Ann's father's will from ca 1850 names him also. That I found on familysearch.org with the kind help of Goldie61.

thanks again