Author Topic: Clarence grove garston  (Read 483 times)

Offline Graeme Gaunt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarence grove garston
« on: Friday 25 March 22 00:42 GMT (UK) »
My Dad joseph gaunt was evacuated during the war, lived in clarence grove, brothers tommy, jimmy, and sister peggy, does anyone have any memories, he was born in 1936, father was a seaman.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence grove garston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 22 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Garston is in Liverpool so I have asked the moderator to move your post to the Lancashire board.

If you are looking for info from wherever he was evacuated to - you would need to provide details of the address.    You would also need to bear in mind that over 80yrs have elapsed so it is highly unlikely anybody would remember him

You say your father was born in 1936 - there is no birth registration in 1936 but one in 1934 if his mothers maiden name was Crilly

William McAllister Gaunt & Elizabeth Crilly married 1915 in Birkenhead.  It was a civil marriage

I see your father died in Cumbria in 2019 so presumably left Clarence Grove many years ago

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Your grandparents William & Elizabeth can be found on the 1939 register if you want to research their history.

William died in 1941 &  I think Elizabeth died in 1942 so it's very unlikely any existing residents of the road would remember them from 80yrs ago

The Electoral Registers for 5 Clarence Grove show nobody surname Gaunt from 1940 onwards
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 22 07:27 GMT (UK) »
HIYA - Graeme and a warm welcome to Rootschat - My dad lived in 10 Clarence Grove - he would be 96 now if he was alive - my dad was born 1926 - so would have known Joseph Gaunt even though he was 10 years older - so - I can tell you this much - sadly a very good friend of ours Patricia Gaunt died about 5 years ago - her husband MAY STILL BE ALIVE - so I can't post his name - I think it is K T Gaunt is all I can post - HIS COUSIN is the actor William Gaunt - so I presume that your dad is related as well - also
Clarence Grove had 21 houses - 11 one side - 10 the other - BUT each side of the Grove was exactly the same size - so therefore the side with 11 houses - each house was probaby 1 ft smaller in width than the other side of the Grove - people still talk about this today here in Garston - I drink in The Mariners pub in Garston and 2 brothers from the Grove drink there as well - I will ask them about the Gaunt family - my family surname is Oakes - in case your dad ever mentioned my dads younger sister Vera (Veronica ) Oakes who was born 1930 ...any Garston info you need , feel free to ask  :)
family surnames from the grove I remember
Oakes - Morgan - Riley - Clarke - Crothers
do you live near Garston ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 22 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Carole - can you do me a favour please - was my dad in 10 Clarence Grove - or 33 Moss St - both Garston in the 1939 register ??  I know my dad - Leslie Oakes - Jimmy Oakes and Veronica Oakes were evacuated to a Doctors House in Little Aughton by Ormskirk during the War
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 22 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Carole - can you do me a favour please - was my dad in 10 Clarence Grove - or 33 Moss St - both Garston in the 1939 register ??  I know my dad - Leslie Oakes - Jimmy Oakes and Veronica Oakes were evacuated to a Doctors House in Little Aughton by Ormskirk during the War

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 22 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Graeme - I have posted this on Garston Merseyside Pat and Present
https://www.facebook.com/groups/347846261932558

on a Genealogy site called Rootschat.com - someone is asking about the Gaunt family from No5 Clarence Grove - my dad lived in No10 Clarence Grove - the only Gaunt I knew was Pat Gaunt who worked in Towns Travel in the village - sadly no longer with us - anyone know any Gaunt family ??

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 22 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Heather - THANKS very much for that info - so Leslie b 1926- James b 1928  and Vera b 1930 - would they have been already evacuated ?? didn't expect that

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 March 22 08:04 GMT (UK) »
13 Moss Street, Liverpool
Sarah Oakes
Widow
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1869

Sarah was actually a Dairy Maid as a 14 year old - down Garston Shore - Thanks again  :)