Author Topic: Jackson of Behy and Gorteen Killeshandra Parish  (Read 659 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Jackson of Behy and Gorteen Killeshandra Parish
« on: Monday 28 March 22 01:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any records of marriages, births, deaths in Parish of Killeshandra, maybe Protestant for Jackson family.

1841 Gorteen record for James Jackson 20, his wife and sisters was the name of his father James Jackson 80 widower m.1780.
He may also be the father of Thomas Jackson born 1795 also living on a tenement at Gorteen owned by Robert Burrowes and John Jackson born c1796 at Behy, also tenement owned by Burrows.
I832 land evaluation records John Jackson at  Behy and also a James Jackson, who maybe the same father.

It is possible that a Jane Jackson b. 1831 and a Frances Jackson b. 1835 emigrated to Tasmania in 1855 and where the daughters of John Jackson and his wife Jane 1841 Census at Behy.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson of Behy and Gorteen Killeshandra Parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 22 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
I'm just going to put the entry from the 1851  census
James Jackson 28
Matty 28
Andy 9
James 7
Fanney  5
George 3
Sarah 1

All there because of a pension application. The pension application suggest Francis born 1845

1841 James 20 married 1841 farmer
Matty 20 wife
Beth 23 sister spinning
Matty 21 sister spinning 
James 80?  married 1780 widower.

Just so people  can see clearly to get a head start.

Ciderdrinker

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 22 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker.

Can I access 1851 Ireland Census records via any of the electronic sources?

My guess is that the 1841 Census included the two sisters Jane and Frances Jackson who emigrated to Hobart aboard the Kingston that left Southampton 25 Aug 1855.

Thus, they still had to be somewhere in Ireland or England in 1851.

1841 Townland of Behy, Parish of Killeshandra, County of Cavan Household #655 [007246498]
John Jackson   Male   45   Cavan   Married   Farmer   Read & Write   Self   22   1796   1825
Jane Jackson   Female   34   Cavan   Married   Spinster   Read & Write   Wife   22   1807   1825
James Jackson   Male   14   Cavan   Not Married   Labourer   Read & Write   Son   22   1827
John Jackson   Male   12   Cavan   Not Married   Labourer   Read & Write   Son   22   1829
Jane Jackson   Female   10   Cavan   Not Married   None   Read & Write   Daughter   22   1831
Eliza Jackson   Female   8      Not Married      Read & Write   Daughter   22   1833
Frances Jackson   Female   6   Cavan   Not Married   None   Cannot Read   Daughter   22   1835
Matilda Jackson   Female   4   Cavan   Not Married   None   Cannot Read   Daughter   22   1837
Agnus Jackson   Female   2   Cavan   Not Married   None   Cannot Read   Daughter   22   1839
Reference: Ireland Census 1841 familysearch.org/ark/61903/1:1:QV9Y-QD81
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 22 16:05 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can I access 1851 Ireland Census records via any of the electronic sources?

Reference: Ireland Census 1841 familysearch.org/ark/61903/1:1:QV9Y-QD81

Here's your familysearch 1841 census link-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9Y-QDZY

Note:
The returns for 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851 were, apart from a few survivals, notably for a few counties for 1821 and 1831, destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the Public Record Office at the beginning of the Civil War.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

Search the censuses here-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 09:33 BST (UK) »
To anyone interested:
Basically, I am trying to locate two sisters Frances b.c1835 Behy and Jane Jackson b.c1831 Behy between 1841 and 1855, maybe still in Behy, Co. Cavan or maybe in the town of Avagh.
Facts so far:
Parents John Jackson and Jane .... m. 1825
1832 Behy John Jackson tenant farmer #5 17 acres from Major Robert Burrows
1832 Behy James Jackson tenant farmer next door 13 acres; most likely father
1841 Census at Behy John Jackson (45), wife Jane and family; also noted two sons James Jackson (14) and John (12) and two Frances (6) and sister Jane (10).
1857 Griffith's Evaluation at Behy
Maybe the two boys James and John Jackson were allocated the tenements from Burrows.
At nearby Gorteen tenements  also owned by Burrows
Thomas Burrows 45 wife and family
and maybe his brother James (20) but also James Jackson 80, a widower and married in 1780.
It is therefore possible that this was the father of James (45) and Thomas (45) and the same who had the Behy tenement in 1832 at Behy next to his son John Jackson.

My interest in getting some birth, marriage, deaths records if I can and what have to Frances and Jane during the 14 years before they accepted to be part of female immigration program to Australia.
Frances Jackson is my wife's direct ancestor in Tasmania.

Offline rabjackson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather was John Jackson , born at house 1 behy circa 1901