Author Topic: Andrew Campbell and Mary Mahon/McMahon both Monaghan  (Read 915 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Campbell and Mary Mahon/McMahon both Monaghan
« on: Monday 28 March 22 06:01 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to find records of my maternal 3rd great grandparents before they are recorded in Sunderland, (North East) England in the 1851 census along with their children: -

Mary Campbell Age 36 Born Monaghan
Andrew Campbell Age 35 Born Monaghan
Owen Campbell Age 13 Born Monaghan
Patrick Campbell Age 11 Born Monaghan
Mary Campbell Age 9 Born Monaghan
Julie Campbell Age 6 Born Monaghan
Cathine Campbell Age 2 Born Sunderland
Ann Campbell Age 6 Mo Born Sunderland

Also, present and marked as Lodgers if it helps: -
Philip Campbell Age 57 Born Kilkenny Dock Labourer
Mary Campbell Age 46 Born Kilkenny
Micheal Campbell Age 17 Born Kilkenny Dock Labourer
Ann Fegham Age 25 Born Louth Paper Worker
Bryan Mahon Age 20 Born Kilkenny Dock Labourer

At the time of the census Andrew, Mary and all the children other than Catherine and Ann were shown as Oakum Teasers so at the very low end of society.

By 1861 the adult males were Mason's Labourers, daughters Mary and Julia were servants and Catherine and two new siblings James 7yrs and Margaret 5yrs were scholars.

The later marriage of Mary (Ann) Campbell, my 2nd great grandmother, took place in a Catholic Church St Mary's in Sunderland. Her husband was Philip Daley (fireman on board a screw steamer at time of marriage) born 1845 in Ireland his father was also Philip Daley.

I can find no records of passage to England and I am hoping someone can assist in tracking their previous movements.

For information my Ancestry DNA shows me 40% Wales, 25% Ireland, 16% England (Inc Flintshire) and 14% Scotland and the remainder Norway - so I am keen on tracking my Irish heritage.

Many thanks in advance - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Campbell and Mary Mahon/McMahon both Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
Do you have a marriage for Andrew and Mary? if so who are the witnesses? also if you have baptisms for the children who are the sponsors there. it seems like many people who could be related to andrew and mary are living with them. is there any lodgers with them in the next census? maybe if you figure out the relation between the lodgers and andrew/mary it may lead you to other people.

if they were catholic, parish registers are available here but you would need to know a more specific area of monaghan :
https://registers.nli.ie/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 22 11:58 BST (UK) »
I can find no records of passage to England and I am hoping someone can assist in tracking their previous movements.
Since Ireland was part of the U.K. there were no records kept of moving from one part (suhc as Ireland) to another part (England). Sometimes that closest you can get in pinpointing a family's movements are census records and births of children.

For information my Ancestry DNA shows me 40% Wales, 25% Ireland, 16% England (Inc Flintshire) and 14% Scotland and the remainder Norway - so I am keen on tracking my Irish heritage.
DNA ethnicity results are, at present, unreliable- many topics on DNA board about that.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
Here's just a possibility.  There's a reasonable 'fit' between the information in your post about Andrew and Mary Campbell's children - Owen, Patrick, Mary and Julie - and a number of baptismal records from the 1830s/40s on the subscription website 'rootsireland'.

These would point this family back to Magheracloone RC parish.

IF this is correct and these folk did hail from that parish, then you might find it worthwhile doing some more general research of that area in that timeframe, for you'll quickly happen upon circumstances which by the latter 1840s, if not before, would have given folk there ample reason for leaving (or indeed forced them into leaving) and moving to the likes of Sunderland.  Think famine, think absentee landlords, do a bit of googling on the likes of the Shirley Estate, the Battle of Magheracloone and St. Peter and St. Paul's Church. Here's a link to start you off if you like:   

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sgf/