Author Topic: Reducing file size on jpg  (Read 1379 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Reducing file size on jpg
« on: Tuesday 29 March 22 18:19 BST (UK) »
So.. I have been away from home and using my Android Samsung tablet.
I took screenshots of pages but can't post them on here because the file size is too large.
I can't see any option to resize  and reduce images even on Photo Editor Pro.
Can anyone help.  Thanks.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing file size on jpg.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
On my Samsung tablet this option is there:  Go to Gallery and open the screenshot. Touch the screenshot so that the controls appear at the bottom.  Touch the pencil symbol. When the picture changes appearance, touch the three dots in the upper right corner and choose Resize.  I've found that 20% is too much if I want to be able to expand it on a computer, for instance, and read the text in the image. Often 40% is OK but it might depend on if you want to insert it into something in the future.

Hope this helps.  Marion

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 20:40 BST (UK) »
There are number of online image resizing websites, if you don't mind uploading images to a 3rd party.

The one I tend of direct people to is resizeimage.net, as it's got various simple options, including scaling (4) and compression (7). Once you've chosen the options you can click the "Resize Image" button and it'll display the new resolution and file size, with links to view or download the new image.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 22:12 BST (UK) »
On my Samsung tablet this option is there:  Go to Gallery and open the screenshot. Touch the screenshot so that the controls appear at the bottom.  Touch the pencil symbol. When the picture changes appearance, touch the three dots in the upper right corner and choose Resize.  I've found that 20% is too much if I want to be able to expand it on a computer, for instance, and read the text in the image. Often 40% is OK but it might depend on if you want to insert it into something in the future.

Hope this helps.  Marion

I'm trying this but not finding my way, what are the "controls' . I only have options to crop, add text, adjust colour etc.
Can't see the pencil symbol either 😐

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 22:43 BST (UK) »
There are number of online image resizing websites, if you don't mind uploading images to a 3rd party.

The one I tend of direct people to is resizeimage.net, as it's got various simple options, including scaling (4) and compression (7). Once you've chosen the options you can click the "Resize Image" button and it'll display the new resolution and file size, with links to view or download the new image.

Hmm, I'm not understanding the steps on the site, to be honest I don't what the options mean. Scaling,compression,  etc which option  do I use just to reduce the file size to under the 500 limit on here. I think I am a  simple one 🙄

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 23:18 BST (UK) »

Hope this helps.  Marion

I'm trying this but not finding my way, what are the "controls' . I only have options to crop, add text, adjust colour etc.
Can't see the pencil symbol either 😐

The controls are at the bottom,  tap on the pencil (2nd from the left) as per attached
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 23:32 BST (UK) »
"I'm trying this but not finding my way, what are the "controls' . I only have options to crop, add text, adjust colour etc.
Can't see the pencil symbol either"

On my Samsung they don't appear until I touch the screenshot with my finger while viewing it.  Then they appear as Roobarb shows. Marion

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 00:13 BST (UK) »

Hmm, I'm not understanding the steps on the site, to be honest I don't what the options mean. Scaling,compression,  etc which option  do I use just to reduce the file size to under the 500 limit on here. I think I am a  simple one 🙄

Reducing an image file size tends to require 2 things, reducing the resolution and increasing the compression.

As an example, using a JPEG image that was 1920x2560 in resolution and 1MB, I used the following options:

(4) Resize your image:
I opted for 40%, which gives a reasonable resolution of 768x1024.

(7) Optimize your image:
I tried a couple of options here:
(a) Using the default 'Best quality'
(b) Using 'Normal compression' of 90%

Testing these options resulted in the following file sizes:
4 & 7a = 547KB
4 & 7b = 173KB

You haven't said what file type your images are. By default resizeimage.net will use the same file type for the output image format as the input. However, if your original file types are PNG, BMP or GIF, they won't always compress that well (depending on the image content), so you may want to try changing the output image format (6) to JPG.

EDIT: I just realised you say in your post title you're using JPG images, so ignore the last bit of my comment, regarding the image format.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 08:11 BST (UK) »
Roobarb.
Mine are not the same.  I am on a Tablet.

Might have to wait for image to be approved.