Author Topic: A Devil (actually Devlin) of a problem  (Read 422 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Devil (actually Devlin) of a problem
« on: Friday 01 April 22 16:24 BST (UK) »
I'm researching John Thomas Devlin 1899-1973. He was in the Merchant navy, and married Julia Hale in Thanet, 1923. His life from thereon I have good data for.

So now I'm looking for ancestors. I have some solid (but scanty) clues;

He was baptised in Saint Cuthberts, North Shields (a Catholic church).
His parents are given as John Devlin and Christina Allan (in latinized form).
GRO index confirms all this, including MMN. Devlin is an Irish name, so Catholic makes sense.

In the 1901 Scottish Census (Parish: Dundee; ED: 13; Page: 57; Line: 2; Roll: CSSCT1901_97)
he is listed in Dundee as a nephew within a rather large household of Allan siblings, albeit with no Christina.

Back tracing the Allan family, locating Christina, and coming forward again to 1901 (Parish: Dundee; ED: 26; Page: 7; Line: 20; Roll: CSSCT1901_100), she too is in Dundee, at a different address, now named"Christina Devlin" and looking after a younger sister.

So - I am happy with my Christina Allan data; born 1877, Montrose, Scotland.

I found a couple in Aberdeen; the British Newspaper Archive gave me a death notice for John Devlin (beloved husband of Christina Allan) of 1931, with a calculated DOB 1875.

Another death notice in the BNA gave me Christina's 1943 Aberdeen death, aged 66.1943-66=1877.

But the listing says "Christina GREIG Allan". I have no Greig names in my research for Christina. Could this Aberdeen couple be a rather remarkable cooincidence?

Can anyone help me firm up (or deny) this Devlin line? Or find anyone of them in 1911, or a Devlin/Allan marriage? My normal research areas are Norfolk and London (tending to Middlesex and Essex), so I'm a little out of my comfort zone on this.
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: A Devil (actually Devlin) of a problem
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 April 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
I can’t see a marriage in either England or Scotland for Devlin/ Allan

There are a couple of Christina Greig Allan marriages 1893 & 1895 on SP but not to a Devlin?

The Scottish 1911 is pay per view on SP if they were still in Scotland.  Have you viewed the actual 1901 image for Christina to establish her marital status?  Does the entry confirm she is the sister of Jane?

I think Christina may be the 1891 entry as a patient in a convalescent home.  Occ in 1901 was jute spinner as is 1891 entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
1881 Scottish entry shows Christina Allan aged 5 b Montrose - parents William & Williamina.

1891 shows Jane Allan with Williamina

1871 marriage on SP between William A Allan & Williamina T Thomson in Montrose

1876 birth of Christina Greig Allan in Montrose
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:09 BST (UK) »
Download a copy of the 1876 birth cert & the 1943 death cert to establish who her parents were

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census is spectacularly helpful, showing John Devlin (the father) as an engineer on a steam trawler, born in Dublin. It also lists 3 children in addition to John Thomas Devlin, AND it claims a marriage in 1896 (15 years prior to the 1911 census).

Further, I hadn't realised the superior richness of Scottish death certificates over English ones - they lists the parents, including mother's maiden name.

My research have move substantially backwards in time, and forward in substance.

Thanks for your help and hints.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk