Author Topic: John Powell + Jane Price - marriage date? late 1700s early 1800s  (Read 587 times)

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Powell + Jane Price - marriage date? late 1700s early 1800s
« on: Saturday 02 April 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
I've searched freeREG - endlessly - and cannot find when John Powell and Jane Price were married. They had two children in Abergavenny, one Jane Elizabeth in 1804 and one Horatio Nelson in 1806. An 1841 census record (which I found in an old Rootschat post, thank you Rootschat) tells me that Jane was born c1767. When her daughter died in Melbourne in 1879, her death registration confirms that her parents were John Powell and Jane Price.

Family search indicates a 1780 marriage in Brecon. But since they appear to have had only 2 children 24 years after 1780 and since Jane Price would have been only 13 or so in 1780 I am uncertain this is their marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGWR-Q53

John Powell was a Gentleman, Solicitor and at one time, known to be before and about 1803, a RN Surgeon. Powell had a fair bit of money and property when he died (again, another mystery, death not found yet, although his Will was proved in 1827). I would assume they were upstanding citizens and probably not in a common-law marriage... But who knows. I don't!

Can anyone please help with finding a marriage for me?
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Powell + Jane Price - marriage date? late 1700s early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this 1785 marriage is a possibility.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLBR-Z9QP

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin, I did see that one and wondered. But likely not since she was definitely known as Jane and I usually take Jennet to be a variation of Janet...? I'm guessing the latter.
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
I think you can rule the marriage out because I have found a
Margaret Powell Baptism Date:   9 Aug 1794
Baptism Place:   Llywel, Breconshire, Wales
Father:   John, a farmer.
Mother:   Jonnet

If it was a civil marriage it may not have been recorded. I have checked Ancestry & family search with no success, I did note baptisms in Monmouth 1790 - 1795, parents John & Jane but no detail.
However one was Elizabeth and one Jane, plus 2 boys.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 22 10:31 BST (UK) »
Colin, yes, I saw on either Family search or FreeREG that half a dozen children were born to a John and Jane, prob the 2 you found are part of those. I recall those births ended mid '90s. (I am away from computer and records now). I have those children sidelined on a list for the moment. They may have come from the 1780 marriage - perhaps.

If those children WERE from this couple, it would be a mystery as to why the daughter in my post, Jane Elizabeth,
was referred to as 'only daughter' (I recall only, perhaps in her marriage notice) and in John Powell's will he leaves everything to wife Jane and 'his 2 children' (the aforementioned Jane and brother Horatio)... I am bamboozled :)

Did they have civil marriages in 1780-1805?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 22 11:20 BST (UK) »
You may have this death?

POWELL, JANE       84 
GRO Reference: 1849  M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY  Volume 26  Page 21

No luck with the marriage I’m afraid. I wonder if they were married before?

Colin

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 22 12:43 BST (UK) »
Where are you able to find the age Colin? I doubt I would have looked at that Jane Powell. I can see the age might fit.

There was also a death in July 1845 in London, Mile End Road, where the notice said Jane Powell widow of late John Powell, solicitor of Abergavenny, and age matched there too. Jane's son Horatio lived in London then; also she may have been at the hospital in Mile End Rd. Plus in 1841 she had been staying or visiting her daughter and husband William Giles in Brighton. The latter family left for Australia in 1849. I don't think daughter would have left while her elderly mother was still alive.

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
And re. the marriage, yes, I have wondered if Jane had previously married. I did have a look and drew a blank. (But that doesn't mean she didn't have first marriage).

This is a friend's family I am researching. But now I am reminded of my own family, where our family always assumed a German great great aunt was married to our wealthy uncle. She was known as Mrs His Surname during their partnership, on Census and in Newspapers. But when he died, probate and his firm had to get official and it turned out she had a different name, plus was never once referred to as his wife. They were common-law it seems. There were no children.

However, the name Jane Powell is in John's will. And he calls her wife. I haven't found her will though. Perhaps it is under Price.

I will have a look tomorrow. Thanks for your time looking so far, Colin.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 April 22 14:40 BST (UK) »
The 1849 death was on the GRO site.

I guess this is the one you refer to.

POWELL, JANE       80 
GRO Reference: 1845  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 02  Page 331

Colin