Author Topic: Edward Maxwell  (Read 910 times)

Offline SandanRob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Maxwell
« on: Saturday 02 April 22 19:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please?  I am trying to determine where EDWARD MAXWELL and AMY HOOKER were born.  The two were living in Thursley (west Surrey) when they married at neighbouring Farnham (Hampshire) on the 16th July 1702.  EDWARD’s occupation is given as a YEOMAN which suggests he was over 21 and had assets (how did he acquire these?).  I have found no evidence that the two were from local families and indeed they were married by license which might indicate that they were not known locally.  It can be shown that EDWARD was born between 1660 and 1885 and anecdotal lore within the family suggests that his forebears were farmers from the north.

The only birth records in England for Edward Maxwell, for the appropriate dates, that I have found on-line are all within a 15 mile radius of Newcastle-on-Tyne (the north).  One in particular was born in Whitburn in 1667 and his father, a Yeoman also named Edward, died in 1676 leaving a significant portion of his estate to his son Edward.  Does anyone know what happened to this Edward Maxwell of Whitburn.

AMY MAXWELL (née Hooker) died in 1709 and EDWARD remarried ELIZABETH in 1712 but I cannot find her previous surname.  I would be most grateful for any information that might help me find where EDWARD, AMY and ELIZABETH originated.

With grateful thanks for any assistance.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Maxwell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:01 BST (UK) »
EDWARD remarried ELIZABETH in 1712 but I cannot find her previous surname. 

Where did the 1712 marriage take place? Was it Barwick in Elmet? If so, the bride's name was Elizabeth Hemsworth. Long way from Surrey, though.  :-\

Also, there's a 1702 record in the Huntingdon Archdeaconry Marriage Licences set [Huntingdonshire, Hertfordshire] for Edward Maxwell and Amy Hooker. Record on FindMyPast, but no image.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 22 20:20 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there's a connection, but there's a William Maxwell baptised Feb 1712 at Haslemere, Surrey.
Parents: John & Elizabeth. Residence: Thursley.

Offline SandanRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt response.  With regard to William - his father was in fact NOT Jhn but Edward (the Edward I am trying to trace).  This is confirmed by Edward's Will and an inspection of the hand writing in the parish records suggests the vicar may have been a little too involved with the communion wine?  In 1704 Edward and Amy had a son who was named John who died aged one month and I think this may have caused some confusion ensued - particullarly if Edward was from the north with a dialect that was not easily understoof.

William's mother was Elizabeth but if and where Elizabeth and Edward married is a mystery.

The Huntingdon record you mentioned is intriguing.    The license for the couple I am researching was granted by the Bishop of Winchester (I think), but Edward and Amy appear to be uncommon names at the time so were these the same persons who perhaps were not able to marry in Huntingdon.  More searching needed I think.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
This is confirmed by Edward's Will

Maybe the will of Edward Maxwell of (East) Harting, Sussex, proved at Chichester in 1742? :-\
Available here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DWLS-HJJ

Offline SandanRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:37 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the 1742 Will of Edward, which is most enlightening, but it gives no help as to where Edward originated?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what happened to this Edward Maxwell of Whitburn

Maybe
Durham Marriage Bonds Abstracts
14 Sep 1691
Edward Maxwell, Whitburne, Durham, yeoman
+
Jane Fleaming, spinster
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-62JT-16

Baptisms following in Whitburn (see FreeReg)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 22 22:02 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed the 1742 Will of Edward, which is most enlightening, but it gives no help as to where Edward originated?

Hi
It is beautifully written (by someone!)
I agree, it doesn't seem to help a lot with Edward's origins/any wider family.

Offline Ritchycolwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi just wondering if you found anything on edward maxwell as we live in a farm house in whitburn and we know edward maxwell lived here as his name is on the paper any info would be of help