Author Topic: Richard Samways Family of Netherbury(spellings:Samwayes, Samwaies, samwise)  (Read 398 times)

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for the ancestors of my paternal line from Dorset Co. I have printed documents that they came from Dorchester or Netherbury and the author of the document states he has traced them back to 1534 and the family is solely in Dorset Co. I know that Richard Samways b. abt 1615 Bapt. 12 Nov 1615(Samwayes or Samwaies)in Netherbury was John Sammis's father and that they changed the spelling from Samways to Sammis due to accent in the 1600s when they came to the colonies.
John Sammis (b. 1643 Windsor, Hartford, CT USA & d. 1694 in Huntington, Suffolk, New York, USA) is well documented as having come from Dorset Co. England with his sisters and mother. The document lists Johannes Samways marrying Temperence Denslow or Denslowe February 6th, 1609 in Netherbury, not Richard, so I am confused as to who is the father is.
I am looking for any and all Samwayes that are in Dorset Co. because they are ALL related to my paternal line.
The person had an email from Richard Samways, Buckingham England from March 8, 2010, but I have no email address or any other information to get ahold of this person to verify any of this information.

Thank You
Julie Sammis Norris

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Samways Family of Netherbury(spellings:Samwayes, Samwaies, samwise)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 22 07:50 BST (UK) »

John Sammis (b. 1643 Windsor, Hartford, CT USA & d. 1694 in Huntington, Suffolk, New York, USA) is well documented as having come from Dorset Co. England with his sisters and mother

I am confused, you say he was born in the USA but came from Dorset, England with his sisters and mother.

Could you pleased give names and dates of births for them where possible
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 22 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello
I see most of you info is in American Geneological dictionaries about the early American settlers.
The firs Samaway to come to Amercica is John Samaways with his children John and Richard.
John was supposedly born in Dorchester 1595 and Richard 1620 Hartford Conneticut.
So what can we see in Dorset to support this?

Richard Samawayes bapt 1.11.1615 s of John at Netherbury Dorset
Siblings John 25.4.1611 ,and John 1.4.1613 , Hester 2.11.1617 , Joanna 7.7.1620 ,Temperance 2.10.1622  ,(married Henry Sergeant 14.5.1642)

A marriage for John to a Temperance Denslow 6.2.1609
But Tempernace is buried at Netherbury 26 Dec 1662. And there is a possible burial for John 3.9.1662 also at Netherbury

There is a possible baptism for John at Netherbury
John Symes s of John 13.10.1595 but that is a slightly different name.

Richard bapt 1615 does seem to have left the area.There is no marriage or likely burial.He could very well have gone to the USA and married and had a son John born 1642 in Windsor Conneticut.

others in parish around that time

Richard s of John and Joan bapt 1.11.1625

Ciderdrinker

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
Off topic but there are Samways near to where I live:

https://samwaysandson.co.uk/index.html?devicelock=desktop
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk