Author Topic: Patrick Colbert born about 1845  (Read 601 times)

Offline Poppyarchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Colbert born about 1845
« on: Tuesday 05 April 22 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am searching for the birth record of Patrick Colbert born between 1844 and 1849 (according to England censuses), and also for the births and marriage of his parents.
On 1911 census he says he was born in what looks like "Bonmarn Waterford" which I take to be Bonmahon? He married in an RC church in London in 1870 - register says his father is Patrick, deceased farm labourer.
His mother Margaret, born about 1814, lived with Patrick until her death in 1889. I have a possible marriage for Margaret Condon marrying Patrick Colebert in 1843 in Kilbehenny, Ireland, Diocese Cashel and Emly.
I can't find Patrick, his father Patrick, or Margaret on the 1851 or 1861 England Census, so don't know when they left Ireland.
I'd be very grateful for any help - I've been really struggling with searching Irish records!

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Colbert born about 1845
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 15:15 BST (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
Looks like OP needs to join RootsIreland!
They have his man baptized in Carrick-on-Suir in 1841, with an address of (parish of) Stradbally.
Bunmahon would have been the nearest large village to parts of Stradbally in the 1840s - when Bunmahon was a mining village of about 2,000 people.
However, I can't see that baptism myself.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Poppyarchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I've made a note of the details and hopefully it will move me forward. I've just looked at Roots Ireland and unfortunately I just can't make the pennies stretch to another paid-for site, what with ancestry worldwide for ancestors in UK, US, Canada and Australia - it's sad but maybe one day I'll be rich enough to look for the very few Irish ancestors I have too!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 11:43 BST (UK) »
Formerly, Rootsireland had an introductory offer of a few free searches/results - do they still offer that?
In any case, you could try
Waterford Heritage
Michael O'Connor, Genealogy Centre, Jenkins Lane, Waterford.
Email: waterfordheritage@icloud.com
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
If OP has Ancestry, have you looked for baptisms around 1841 in Carrick-on-Suir or Stradbally?
You know you can restrict searches to just the Catholic parish registers collection, and a specific diocese, right?

Offline Poppyarchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 16:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - I've found a possible baptism on Ancestry, the Carrick-on-Suir one! It's in 1841, parents Patrick Colbert and Margaret Sheehan, in Tipperary, Carrick-on-Suir, Ireland, Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. It's a bit early, but census ages are notoriously inaccurate sometimes!  It gives me something to work with anyway.
Please forgive my ignorance but why did you suggest I contact Waterford Heritage's
Michael O'Connor - does the genealogy center help with tracing ancestors?
BTW Roots Ireland are not offering free searches, but they do have a 24-hour subscription for £13 which I will try - I'll gather together all my Irish people from various family trees and have a blitz!
Thank you for your help today, you've moved me forward a bit and made my brick wall seem less formidable.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 21:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - I've found a possible baptism on Ancestry, the Carrick-on-Suir one! It's in 1841, parents Patrick Colbert and Margaret Sheehan, in Tipperary, Carrick-on-Suir, Ireland, Diocese of Waterford and Lismore.
Please forgive my ignorance but why did you suggest I contact Waterford Heritage's
Michael O'Connor - does the genealogy center help with tracing ancestors?

Yes, that is the baptism that RootsIreland pointed to - but with a different surname for the mother. I can't see the baptism that RI list on the original record, on the date they give.  Have you checked the original, available free to view on the NLI website? What date do Ancestry give?

RootsIreland work via local centers, and Waterford Heritage is their local center for Waterford. I was pointing to them to contact if the discrepancy on finding the baptism in the original record persists.