Author Topic: Thomas McCreath - NZ on board "Sir William Eyre" 1860s - Dunedin  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ChrisUK2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McCreath - NZ on board "Sir William Eyre" 1860s - Dunedin
« on: Wednesday 06 April 22 15:20 BST (UK) »
I'm in the UK and I go to lots of auctions - A few years ago I have acquired a family bible from the 1850's.

In the Bible, there is a handwritten entry about a Thomas McCreath who went to NZ on board the "Sir William Eyre" in early 1860s, arriving at Dunedin I believe.  He may have been born in 1840.

It was a very rough voyage apparently, and I was interested in knowing if he made it OK.  I'd also be happy to reunite the bible (two heavy volumes) with its family, if indeed he started a new family tree there.

I have found some info recently, that he may have married someone called Jane and may have lived in Invercargill.

Can anyone help me trace his descendants?

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McCreath - NZ on board "Sir William Eyre" 1860s - Dunedin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 22 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hello ChrisUK2 ... welcome to RootsChat.   :)

A quick glance here at New Zealand records, shows a Thomas McCREATH died in 1905 aged 65 years, so born c. 1840.

The Invercargill Cemetery in Southland, NZ, has a record of his burial in July 1905, but there appears to be no headstone ... and I was unable to locate a Probate or similar file, any of which might have confirmed his origins.   There was no newspaper death notice to be found either.

Yes, he seems to have been the man who wed a Jane DRYBURGH in 1865 (NZ) and they had a large family of at least nine, perhaps more, children.
A death notice for Jane McCREATH in 1916 names her husband as Thomas George McCREATH.  I'm not sure that that is correct as both marriage and death records name him as simply, "Thomas".  (They did have a son named Thomas George, so perhaps that's where the confusion arose ? )

I'll look further as there must surely be researchers of this large family.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 22 00:19 BST (UK) »
For starters there is this entry (though not sure if the "researcher" is contactable ?? ) >

https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-McCreath/6000000015986605831

It does give names of the parents of Thomas - plus his birthplace.   
*  Do those match with any entry in the family bible ??

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 22 00:22 BST (UK) »
And mention at this site, also.   >

https://www.myheritage.com/names/thomas_mccreath

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 22 02:55 BST (UK) »

In the Bible, there is a handwritten entry about a Thomas McCreath who went to NZ on board the "Sir William Eyre" in early 1860s, arriving at Dunedin I believe.  He may have been born in 1840.

..  haven't as yet found the name of Thomas McCREATH (nor indeed anyone named "Thomas") amongst passengers listed for the voyage you mention.  That is not of course to say that Thos. McCREATH did not travel on this particular ship.  ;)

But of course the presence of a "Thomas McCREATH" in the area of Southland NZ (including his death in that location, a marriage in 1865, etc. and perhaps his unusual surname ), certainly suggests he is the same man you mention.

The "Sir William Eyre" (yes, it was an horrendous journey), turned back in December 1862 to Rothesay with its large group of emigrants who'd been destined for Southland province in New Zealand.   When later the voyage resumed, the ship was forced to put into Cape of Good Hope for some time.   She finally arrived at the Port of Bluff (at the bottom of the South Island, NZ) around 8 April 1863 - a journey of some four and a half months.

Of the passenger lists I've located to date, all seem to have been compiled from resources other than an actual passenger list.   i.e.  Newspaper reports, old settler's records, jubilee lists.
That I haven't found the name of Thomas McCREATH (or variant or misspelling of name) might mean that he was not perhaps "an actual immigrant" to Southland" (persons who had all or a portion of fare paid to the Colony under an official Immigration scheme).  Could he have been a member of crew of this ship ?    Or a passenger paying full fare ? (Names of full-fare passengers - or persons having their fare paid by someone already living in NZ, were sometimes not always recorded along with the names of "official immigrants".)

I'll keep looking for additional information.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 22 03:39 BST (UK) »
Adding - for anyone who is able to assist in finding descendants - names of (some) children born to
Thomas McCREATH and Jane nee DRYBURGH :

1868 - Margaret
1870 - James
1871 - Mary Jane
1874 - Thomas George
1876 - George
1877 - Anne Isabella
1879 - Charles Edward
1882 - Robert William
1884 - Ella Barlow [ Added:  This appears to be Ella Barbara McCREATH* ]
 -----
[Added note:  *Ella Barbara McCREATH (later Mrs FEIL) is the daughter named in the Will of Jane McCREATH - died 1916) https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE60125840

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 22 04:38 BST (UK) »
James. Died. 1902. Don’t think he married.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/SOCR19020405.2.25?items_per_page=10&page=9&query=Mccreath+&snippet=true

NZ Marriage >
James McCREATH -- Angelina Grigg PEDLAR -- 1895
[source :  NZSG Marriages CD ]

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 April 22 04:44 BST (UK) »
There is a public tree on Ancestry “Frost Family Tree” owned by a person in Canterbury that has whole family

I cannot quite figure out his connection to them.