Author Topic: Can You Find The Parents of Ellen Kernan (Maiden Name: Donnelly)?  (Read 27903 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Find The Parents of Ellen Kernan (Maiden Name: Donnelly)?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 April 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Why consider a marriage in Pennsylvannia ... why not look for one in New Jersey....

JM

Initially a published tree showed that place and year. The first couple of children were born in Pennsylvania and then this record seems to support the tree information.
It would be good if FindMyPast shows more details then it might confirm it.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 April 22 23:34 BST (UK) »
That's only an INDEX ... phew,  so our OP could chase up to find the actual document.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:08 BST (UK) »
That's only an INDEX ... phew,  so our OP could chase up to find the actual document.

It's Marriage License Index 1885-1916 from Orphans' Court Philadelphia. Presumably Ellen (or William) was an orphan.
The Find My Past listing found by heywood, linked to Philadelphia Catholic church records may yield more, or perhaps not if it's only from a church marriage register. (My granddad married in England, his father was named in church register; his brother married in Ireland, father not named in church marriage register. Granddad's 1st wife's parents married in a County Dublin parish, mid 19thC., both parents named in church register + their residences + witnesses' residences. There was no set way.) 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:18 BST (UK) »
Why consider a marriage in Pennsylvannia ... why not look for one in New Jersey....

Initially a published tree showed that place and year. The first couple of children were born in Pennsylvania and then this record seems to support the tree information.
It would be good if FindMyPast shows more details then it might confirm it.

Are we certain that we're not looking at 2 different William Kernan & Ellen Donnelly couples? Kiernan and Donnelly are common surnames.
Lucas said in his first post that the marriage was in New Jersey. What was his source for a New Jersey marriage?
Cowban

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:22 BST (UK) »
it is possible to merge all these Kernan/Kearns/Donnelly thread?  Would that make a difference to searchers, once we get concrete info to search for. 

Could the Mods do some magic please?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:41 BST (UK) »
For example, I think the thread this post is currently part of, could be merged into the thread I am quoting it on,   :D   

All our Global Moderators are volunteers too,  so it may take a tad of patience as they have real lives, away from RChat too.   :D

JM

Ellen Kernan (maiden name Donelly) was born in some time in December 1872 in Northern Ireland. She immigrated in the 1890s. She married a Person called William Kernan in New Jersey, America in the year 1895. William came from Southern Ireland. In the New Jersey State of 1915, it says that Ellen Kernan (Ellen Donnelly) was born in Northern Ireland. Can You find the parents of Ellen Kernan (Ellen Donnelly, she had a brother and sister living in Ireland).

Please Tell Me The Parents Of ELLEN DONNELLY!
(Do not tell me to research)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:46 BST (UK) »
Replies 31 & 32, shanreagh & majm. I've asked mods for a merger. I've been putting my replies on this thread.
Cowban

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks MS,  very kind of you.

Offline LucasKernan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Research since 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 April 22 01:10 BST (UK) »
Replies 31 & 32, shanreagh & majm. I've asked mods for a merger. I've been putting my replies on this thread.
That’s A Good Idea, Thanks!

Best Regards,
                 Lucas
Kernan, Matys, Müller, Werner