Author Topic: John Breen, senior, from Mount Unknown  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Breen, senior, from Mount Unknown
« on: Thursday 07 April 22 15:05 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in a man whom I'll call John Breen, senior.  (There is no record that calls him "senior", but he had a son with the same name, and I need to distinguish them)

His son, John Breen, junior, (never called "Junior") got married 5 October, 1872, to a women called Bridget Cahill (who was a widow, originally married to a man named Connor).  The civil record reveals that senior was deceased at that time, and that both son and father were laborers.

I'm more interested in the church marriage record, which seems to give a location associated with senior.  The first part of the location looks like "Mt", which I am sure means "Mount", but I can't make out the second part.

It is the second entry on this page, but I thought I would post it here, rather than in handwriting recognition, as geography and other incidentals might be important:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634257#page/10/mode/1up

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Breen, senior, from Mount Unknown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 22 15:18 BST (UK) »
The parish that the marriage took place in was Ballymacelligot.

But I have reason for supposing that junior was the John Breen born in 1849 to John Breen and Mary Sughrue in Laharan, Killorglin Parish.

One bit of interesting evidence is the third marriage entry on the page, that has a line written through it.  The groom of this marriage was called Daniel McCarthy.  His father Jeremiah was from Killorglin.  And one of the witnesses appears to be the same as in Junior's marriage.

What's more, there is a possibility that the name McCarthy was the maiden name of Senior's mother.

I believe Senior is the same man who died in Laharan, Killorglin in 1864, age 58.  That would mean he was born about 1805 or 1806.

There was a John Breen born in another parish Killeentierna (no townland given) in 1805.  His parents were named Denis Breen and Mary McCarthy.

I was hoping that this mountain clue might connect to the parish of Killeentierna.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 22 15:32 BST (UK) »
I searched for the townlands in County Kerry.
The only one with Mount    was Mount Eagle.
The Irish word for Eagle is Iolar   according to my Dictionary.
Possibly as the info is in Latin could be the translation.
Maggsie

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 22 16:13 BST (UK) »
I think the word begins with an "L" and ends with an "r."  And I think the third letter is an "l"

I get a lot of hits on Irish genealogy for "mount" or "mt", but so far nothing appears close.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 22 18:48 BST (UK) »
I've realized that one of the sponsors for Junior's marriage reads: "Edwardus Barry Clericus."  I originally thought the last part was a townland, but now I realize it is a Latin term.

And that this same man named Edward Barry appears as one of the sponsors for the McCarthy marriage, below Junior's entry, where the groom's father was from Killorglin.

I'm not clear on the exact meaning of "Clericus", but I think it was basically another priest or special Catholic layman, maybe a clerk.

To me, this is an indication that Junior came from outside the parish of Ballymacelligot, and did not have many local acquaintances.  Edward Barry seems to have witnessed about 150 marriages, which would make me believe he was the clerk.

I have also realized that the name McCarthy can be found in Maglass, where Junior's bride came from and where he had his first child.  This may indicate that the marriage was arranged with the help of relatives with the name McCarthy.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 22 19:38 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia has a list of 406 Irish Arderins (which I think means the tallest 406 mountains in Ireland)

It can be found on this page and arranged by the user to alphabetical order:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_mountains_in_Ireland#List_of_406_Irish_Arderins

But I did not notice anything close.

I'm not sure that the first word is "Mt."  But if it is I expect it is a transliteration.  I wish I knew all the Irish words that correspond to mountain.  All I can think of is "Slieve" and "Mullach."

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 April 22 21:27 BST (UK) »
I feel that I can definitely confirm that the first word is "Mt.", as I have seen another entry "Mt. Nicholas" which corresponds to a townland called "Mountnicholas", though that is definitely not the place I am looking for.

John Breen Senior (b1805?) lived:

1836-1839 in Knocknamucklagh in Firies Catholic Parish (or Kilnanare Civil Parish)
1841-1849 in Laharan in Killorglin Parish
1864 he died in Laharan

He might appear on the 1834 tithes for Caunavree, which is a part of Laharan, Killorglin Parish, but I am not sure it is the same man, though I believe they did live both in Caunavree.  There were other Breens living there who must have been related to him.

"Knock" in "Knocknamucklagh" does mean "Mount", but there are probably many such places in Co. Kerry.

"Caun" in "Caunavree" means "head" but I am not certain that can be construed to mean "Mount."

I don't understand where the rest of it comes from.  "namucklagh" supposedly means "swine", but I don't think that is the word.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 April 22 23:59 BST (UK) »
I did scroll through the surviving baptism register to look at the townlands, and I didn't see anything close.

It doesn't run for too many years, and I suppose it is true that there are many lonely mountains, with not many people around them.  Still, I would consider it a fair sign that John Breen Senior came from outside the parish.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 22 04:02 BST (UK) »
I did put up a suggestion in your thread on the deciphering page.