Author Topic: 1884 Death of John Todd and Niece Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?  (Read 309 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1884 Death of John Todd and Niece Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?
« on: Thursday 07 April 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have found a Memorial Stone in Traquair Kirkyard via Find a Grave.  It shows that James Todd (husband's 2nd GGF) erected the stone to mark the burial/death of his father John Todd b. Newlands, Peeblesshire, 9 Jun 1831-9 Sept 1884.  James' daughter Margaret (Maggie) Susan is also on the memorial and it says:

ERECTED BY JAMES TODD
IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE
OF HIS FATHER JOHN TODD MERCHANT CUMBERLAND ST. EDINBURG
AGED 53 YEARS
AND OF MAGGIE SUSAN DAUGHTER OF JAMES TODD AVENUE HEAD
TRAQUAIR AGED 2 YEARS
WHO WERE KILLED BY A CARRIAGE ACCIDENT NEAR NEWHALL SEPT 1884.

There is a NewBall Burn just beside Traquair but could this accident have been more local to Edinburgh where John appears to have been a Grocer?  There is a Newhall Estate also close to Carlops.  His usual residence was 47 Cumberland Street, Edinburgh.  John would be my husband's 2 GG Uncle.

I have purchased the death cert for John but it is unreadable.  I can make out 9 September at Avenue Head, Traquair, usual address 47 Cumberland St, Edinburgh.  Someone else who has purchased it and provided a transcript on Ancestry says CoD "A shock to the nervous system after an accident"

I'm going to research this side further.  It appears that John's wife Anne Thom was still alive at that time so I wonder why John was buried at Traquair Kirkyard.  I know there are other sides of the Todd Family working at the House.

Is anyone in a position to look up newspaper articles?

Also, although I have a Worldwide Ancestry Account, I wondered if Chatters could advise what my best route would be to purchase suitable Newspaper access?  Mainly NW England/Scotland/Ireland and then those branches going overseas.

I'm sorry I can't post a crop of the DC but I've already spent over 2 hours trying and my patience has worn thin.

I can purchase Maggie Susan's DC if it was thought this might be helpful.  Also, would there have been an Inquiry of some sort following the deaths?

Thanks for any assistance, Kit

EDIT: I might have to rethink who the James was who erected the memorial stone.  However, the Maggie Susan who also died in 1884 has MMN Forrest, which IS my husbands GGM whose husband was a James.  I can pick up from an initial view of the Newspaper, John 1831-1884 had a son James who was a School Teacher in Peebles.  The DC has informant at James Todd, Peebles.  More research required on which James it was.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 Death of John Todd and Granddaughter Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
There is an article in the Peebleshire Advertiser dated 13 September 1884 which takes up almost a full column, it mentions other people who were involved.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 Death of John Todd and Granddaughter Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 April 22 17:31 BST (UK) »
It is viewable on FindMyPast so will also be on British Newspaper Archives, I think you get a couple of free views on that before you need to subscribe.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 22 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Crumblie, I seem to have found 2 articles and as you say, I may be able to view 3 without subscribing.  Unfortunately, I no longer subscribe to FindMyPast as I found I wasn't using it enough, having Ancestry.  Maybe I'll check out the cost.  I wonder if the Newspapers are included in their 'free access offers' once in a while.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 22 18:33 BST (UK) »
Managed to view the whole article.  Terrible thing on their way back from a day out at St Mary's Loch and the horse bolted throwing the whole party into the burn.  A number of Todd's involved.

So John 1831-1884 was the Brother of my husband's 2GGF James.  It was this James (2GGF) who lost his daughter Maggie Susan, so she was a niece to John 1831-1884.  I've amended the subject heading.

The James who erected the memorial stone must have been John's son James who appears to have been a Headmaster of a School in Peebles.

Very sad.

Kit

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 Death of John Todd and Niece Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 22 19:03 BST (UK) »
It is very sad but the article is a great source of information, it shows just how much newspapers have changed in how much they report over the years.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1884 Death of John Todd and Niece Maggie Susan in a carriage accident?
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 April 22 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yes Crumblie, I agree.

We often go to St Mary's Loch and go via Innerleithen/Peebles back home, just on the edge of the Pentland Hills near Rosslyn/Roslin.

A few years ago I had to ask my husband to slow down on the way back as I didn't like all the twists and turns.

I've been to Traquair House a couple of times on work related things for the 'Beyond Borders' events they have held.  We knew there was a family link to Todd's working there and I intend to take a 30m drive down there soon to scope things out.

Thanks for your input.  Much appreciated.

Kit