Author Topic: Alice DANIELS (1869-1953)  (Read 10003 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice DANIELS (1869-1953)
« on: Thursday 14 April 22 12:31 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help in adding some flesh to the little I already know about Alice DANIELS (1869-1953).

Alice was born 01 Sep 1869 to George Thomas DANIELS and Catherine DANIELS (née CONNELLY) at Scholefield  Road, Holloway. Her mother was a Catholic, who died very young aged only 22 in 1872 of enteric fever.

In 1871 census, Alice and her elder sister, Rosina, are residing at Scholefield Road with their parents.

By 1881, George Thomas had remarried (though no certificate has been found) to Mary Ann Taplin. The family consisting of George, Mary Ann, Rosina, Alice (11) and 4 children from the second marriage are living at the Grove in Hornsey.

In 1891 Alice (21) has left her father's home and is living with her Grandparents, Charles and Eliza Daniels, at Cromwell Road, Islington. She is described as single and a general servant.

The next we hear is in October 1899, when she is in the workhouse and described as a "dancer".

There follows a number of reports in various newspapers, including the Islington Gazette, of a suicide attempt using poison in October 1899. Alice (30) is described as an "actress" of Fairmead Road, Holloway. According to the reports - and extra details are found in some reports - she was living with an unnamed man of "foreign appearance". There is also a mention of a female child aged 2 years. The unnamed man was apparently not the father. She was sent a charitable home under the care of a Mr Holmes. This opens many mysteries concerning: the child, the unnamed man and the home.

In 1901, Alice (30) appears to be a boarder at Retcar Street in St Pancras. She is now a charwoman. There is no listing for her daughter.

In 1909, Alice (44) is again in the headlines. Apparently, assuming this is her, she has been thrown out of a house in Rosina Street in Homerton by a man she had been cohabiting with and taken revenge by breaking all his windows. Again mysteries: who is the man and where is her daughter? I don't think the man is the William DOWER mentioned as he is the owner of the house rather than the tennant.

In 1911, I can't find Alice anywhere.

In January 1918, she marries a Philip James CANNELL, some 20 years her senior, in Camden Town. And the 1921 census finds them living in St John's Park in Islington.

Her husband dies in December 1931. In the 1931 Register she is living at Warrender Road in Islington with Kate HILTON. Both women are described as "incapacitated". I have no idea about Kate HILTON.

Finally Alice dies on 14 Jan 1953 at Warrender Road. I have her death certificate, but can't find a burial.

So I have found out a fair bit about her life, but there are massive chunks missing. Her life as a dancer/actress is a mystery. Her daughter born c1896 is a another mystery, as are her various "relationships" prior to her marriage. Finally I am unclear about her life between the death of her husband and her own death.

As I said at the start, some help is need in adding a flesh to what I think is an interesting framework.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alice DANIELS (1869-1953)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 22 14:59 BST (UK) »
Looking at Daniels births with no mmn on GRO online between 1896-1898 doesn't throw up many in the London(ish)  area

Jessie - Dec qtr 1897 Edmonton
Stella Olive Popple - March 1898 Croydon
Jane Florence Dec 1896 Chelmsford

That assumes the child was registered as Daniels ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 April 22 15:46 BST (UK) »
In January 1918, she marries a Philip James CANNELL, some 20 years her senior, in Camden Town.

Just to note the father on that marriage is George William Daniels a fishmonger and Alice is born 1873.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 22 15:49 BST (UK) »
Looking at Daniels births with no mmn on GRO online between 1896-1898 doesn't throw up many in the London(ish)  area

Is Shoreditch any good  :-\  There's an Annie Daniels no MMN born Mar 1895

Possible the age of the child wasn't accurate in the report.  Or that it even belonged to her - was that stipulated or just inferred?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 22 16:27 BST (UK) »
It was stated that it was her daughter, but no clue was given to the identity of the father.

There are several newspaper articles relating to the suicide on FindMyPast.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
Her father was George Thomas. She has got his middle name wrong. George Thomas was a fishmonger. She got that right.

She left the parental home early. I suspect that she didn’t get on with her step mother. In 1891, she is living with her grandparents, which possibly says something about the relationship. Moreover George Thomas died back in 1907.

Alice was definitely born in 1869, though she seems to fudge it as she gets older.

Finding her in 1911 would help.

The marriage is correct, as on Alice Cannell’s death certificate, the informant is her nephew, the son of her elder sister, Rosina.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 22 20:58 BST (UK) »
Frank Hilton married Kate Elinor Chiles 1898

Kate was b Sept qtr 1873 St Giles.  Birthplace in 1901 & 1911 is Bloomsbury.  They had a son in 1900 & twin sons in 1902 but can’t see any biological link to Alice
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 22 21:18 BST (UK) »
Kate Hilton might be a red herring. Ancestry have indexed just her and Alice in one household, but there are more there. From the electoral register for 1939, in addition at no 24 were:

Smith, Frederick Auguste Philip
Smith, Louise Helene
Williams, Harriet Ann
Williams, Helena Jane

Alice may just be one of a number of boarders in the household

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
Kate and her husband move into Warrender Rd 1931/2. I first find Alice there in 1936