Author Topic: Knockbreda Cemetery Belfast  (Read 8641 times)

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Search. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.
    • View Profile
Knockbreda Cemetery Belfast
« on: Thursday 14 April 22 14:38 BST (UK) »
Trying to find information for a 1921 burial of my Great Grandfather Robert JAMISON (born 25 Dec 1872 Glasgow and died 26 April 1921 in Rosetta Terrace, Ormeau, Belfast.
He was married 1908 (Mary GRAHAM) and his mother (Mary Jane BOAL Jamison) lived with him and his young family at Indiana Street Belfast when she died 22 Nov 1910.

I believe they are buried at Knockbreda Cemetery, but cannot find any records online.

After Robert JAMISON's premature death in Belfast at 49yrs old, his wife and their two small children emigrated to America (Oct 1921) and never returned. So most of the Ireland family history was never talked about. We have extensive records and burial locations for the rest of the family branches - but have not found the resting place for these two.

Any ideas or suggestions where some of the paper records for burials between 1910 - 1922 might be for Knockbreda?
Thank you all, Rachael
Philadelphia, USA: Linton, Shallcross, Beagle.
Northern Ireland: Co Derry: Linton, Ross. Co. Down: Jamison, Graham.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Knockbreda Cemetery Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 22 11:49 BST (UK) »

I believe they are buried at Knockbreda Cemetery, but cannot find any records online.

Any ideas or suggestions where some of the paper records for burials between 1910 - 1922 might be for Knockbreda?

You should give Knockbreda Cemetery a ring to enquire about your ancestor's burial.

See this link, and the phone number at the bottom.
https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-ceremonies/burial-records/search-for-a-burial-record#508-3

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 22 11:51 BST (UK) »
KG Thank you. Unfortunately Belfast City Council do not look after the records for Knockbreda (or Milltown).

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 22 12:13 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Belfast City Council do not look after the records for Knockbreda (or Milltown).

Yes, but the Knockbreda number is there. Ring them.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 22 07:22 BST (UK) »
There used to be a hut beside the office at Knockbreda cemetery, where the burial books were held.  But the office now appears to be just a dwelling house (for the supervisor, presumably) and garage.  I'm fairly sure the records are now stored centrally.

Certainly the cemetery is administered by the City Council.  The signs at the entrances say "bereavement office 028 9027 0296" and also the web site
www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cemeteries

The graves I passed on my way up and down again were all much more recent than the 1920s.  The old ones (some much older) are in the churchyard at the top belonging to Knockbreda parish church.  Strangely, there's nothing to say -- either at the gate or in the porch -- which saint it's dedicated to, nor who the rector or vicar is, nor a telephone number or eMail address.  I did spot a Jamison headstone, but with the wrong Robert and Mary.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 22 09:49 BST (UK) »
There are some photos of head stones at Knockbreda you could look through online http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/down/photos/tombstones/belfast/index.html

Belfast City Council do not hold records for Knockbreda, I will PM you the phone number to call for Knockbreda records
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 22 12:56 BST (UK) »
If you follow the link given by iluleah, and click on knockbreda-parish-cem.htm
you'll find no. 102 which is the stone I spotted this morning in the churchyard.  But I think you'll agree it's the wrong Jamisons.

Assuming yours really were buried at Knockbreda, if you're able to find out the plot number, I'm happy to cycle up there again (if it's not raining or blowing too hard) and try to get a photo.  But it's a large cemetery and it would take me a day or two to work my way round it without a plot number (or at least the section to search in).

Photo no. 36 in the above-mentioned collection shows the names and telephone numbers of the rector and the curate of Knockbreda parish -- I don't know whether they still apply, as the board seems to be no longer there.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline RLR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
To Wee Hugh and iluleah
THANK YOU so much for your responses.
I spent most of today emailing Castlereagh Council and then Belfast City Council - and had a very unproductive (not a surprise) telephone call with the Bereavement Officer at the City Council.
All he could do was check online - and when I tried to explain that I had been doing that for over 4 years and exhausted every source - he confirmed that he couldn't find any records either.
So I am going to follow up with a few specific questions tomorrow - to ask where the paper records for Knockbreda are, like the plot book that used to be at the Cemetery site (that lovely little house in the middle of the cemetery - I visited it back in 2016 but couldn't get in as it was closed that day).
SO yes - I can confirm that Knockbreda is back under the auspices and care of Belfast City Council - ever since 2015. I wish they would update all the conflicting info on the websites!
SO the mystery continues.