Author Topic: Thomas Batter > Corfe Castle  (Read 502 times)

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Batter > Corfe Castle
« on: Saturday 16 April 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am related to Jane Batter b.1835 Corfe Castle whom married James Churchill in 1857 Studland.

Jane's father was John who was also born in Corfe Castle in 1800. John married Martha Vincent in 1831 Studland.

John's parents were Thomas Batter and Jane Trite whom married in 1795 Corfe Castle (of parish).

A death exists for Thomas Batter on the Dorset OPC etc.. that died in 1831 stating he would have been born about 1764. Again for Jane in 1817 stating she would have been born in 1762. Both of Remptstone.

I've been going back over my tree and I cannot see a baptisms for either. There is a Thomas and Catherine Baker which would fit for Thomas but the surname has been consisntant with Batter not Baker and the images also clearly say Baker not Batter.

I assuming I've used marriage records to presume the parents of Jane Trite as Robert Trite and Susannah Elliot as I cannot find any birth records for her either.

My main query however is Thomas Batter as there does not seem to be many Batter's in Corfe Castle before him.

Any help appreciated thanks

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Batter > Corfe Castle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has the 1790 census for Corfe Castle. Have you checked that? Looks like there might be a Batter listed in it.

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
Oh thanks! I've just looked on the OPC

https://www.opcdorset.org/CorfeCastleFiles/CorfeCastleCensus1790.htm

states both were servants at the Parsonage but no birth locations given only ages. Though this was before they were married. Jane Trite and Thomas Batter working together as Servants

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 22 18:27 BST (UK) »
In the 1790 census, there's a Thomas Batter (born 1763). Also a Jane Trite (born 1765). I don't have a FindMyPast sub, so unable to see the rest of the transcription(s) details.

ADDED: Nevermind - I didn't see that you'd already found them on the OPC Dorset site.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 April 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage gives a witness to their marriage as a Kitty Trite which may help with Jane.
There is a possible baptism at Blanford Forum
Catherine Trite d of Robert and Susan 12.3.1773

Plus a burial at Corfe Jane Batter age 55 7.10.1817 gives her born 1762 ,so a bit of leeway on the year of birth.

Also in the parish records Jonas and Anne Batter baptising their daughter Joyce 14.12.1738 at Corfe castle

Ciderdrinker