Author Topic: May(e)/tansy/tansey marriage  (Read 400 times)

Offline Skegite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
May(e)/tansy/tansey marriage
« on: Saturday 16 April 22 21:30 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
I have been trying to track down my gg grandfathers parents for over a decade now.
I recently discovered that he was baptised March 1836 at Croughan, his name was Martin May(e), I knew from his marriage record his father was John May but was never able to find any record of Martin before 1868 when he married Bridget Ansboro in County mayo.
The Croughan baptism records his parents as John May and Mary Tansey.
I was wondering if there might be anyone who has come across the parents and if anyone might know where I can find a marriage record for John and Mary?
I did find several other children with John May and Mary Tansy as parents at Croughan but the only marriage I could find was for a John May and Bridget Tansy.
When Martin married he was resident in Quarryfield County Sligo.
I would so much like to know a bit about John and Mary and other members of their family.
many thanks for reading this

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: May(e)/tansy/tansey marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 22 18:53 BST (UK) »
Note for anyone helping.
 Links to marriage and death registrations for Martin Maye are on Skegite's topic about his wife,  Bridget. Topic title is "Ansboro/Hansboro". See reply #1 by Kiltaglassan on that thread.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861243
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 22 19:04 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if there might be anyone who has come across the parents and if anyone might know where I can find a marriage record for John and Mary?
I did find several other children with John May and Mary Tansy as parents at Croughan but the only marriage I could find was for a John May and Bridget Tansy.

Did you find baptism for those other children of John & Mary Tansy? Would you please list their names + baptism dates?
Have you checked "Surname Interests" ? It's under "Your Tools" in dark-brown background below. Click  "Surname Interests" to go to the section. You can add your ancestors' surnames.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 19:23 BST (UK) »

I recently discovered that he was baptised March 1836 at Croughan, his name was Martin May(e),

Killucan parish, variant name Croghan
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0554
Were Martin's godparents Thomas and Catherine Tansy? Name of first was hard to read but looks like "Thoma".
The marriage may have been in another parish.
Cowban

Offline Skegite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 21:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying, family commitments

Yes that is the baptism, like you I think it is Thomas.
The other children I found at Croghan are

Eleanor 1828
Bridget 1834
Martin (my gg grandfather) 1836
2x Mary 1839 & 1842
John 1844

This is all I know about John and Mary, I don't know where they lived or there ages. The only thing I know about Martin before his marriage is that he was living in Quarryfield when he married.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 22 08:41 BST (UK) »

The only thing I know about Martin before his marriage is that he was living in Quarryfield when he married.

Marriage 1868
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11453/8207365.pdf

Quarryfield townland in the civil parish of Cloonoghil, Co Sligo.
https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/corran/cloonoghil/kilturra/quarryfield/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo