Author Topic: Duprey/Dupre family Tullyish, County Down  (Read 1725 times)

Offline AdrianSydney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duprey/Dupre family Tullyish, County Down
« on: Monday 18 April 22 06:00 BST (UK) »

Hello

Looking for anyone with a Duprey/Dupré/Dupree in their family from County Down.

I'm trying to piece together the Dupré family descended from Marc Henri Dupre who was in the linen industry and settled in Lisburn around the 1690s and married Jane Russell in 1706. I have pieced together a tree that includes a Hamilton Dupre b Tullyish 1804 d 1883, marrying a Mary Sturgeon in 1848 in Banbridge.

I believe Hamilton was from a family of approximately 7 siblings from around Tullyish County Down. I am speculating the siblings were Elizabeth, Hastings, Henry, Hugh, John Alexander, Hamilton and Patrick and parents Martin Dupre and mother possibly an Elizabeth Hastings. I have a speculative public Dupré tree on Ancestry, my user name is Adrian_Revell. Keen to hear people's thoughts. Regards

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Duprey/Dupre family Tullyish, County Down
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 22 12:14 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm not connected in any way to the Dupree family, but just putting up some links for others who might be.

Firstly, 1848 marriage-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09343/5382800.pdf

Hamilton a pensioner and like Mary living in the townland of Ballynagarrick (Tullylish CP).
https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-lower-upper-half/tullylish/tullylish/ballynagarrick/

N.B. Tullylish - townland and civil parish.

Death of Hamilton Dupree at Lurgan workhouse in 1883. He was a pensioner (military?), married and living in Portadown.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06348/4821044.pdf

His widow Mary died in 1891, again in Lurgan workhouse.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1891/06075/4732510.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
I sent a PM.  Samuel Adair, grandson of Sarah McCLeary married Anna Maria Duprey, grandau of Wm John and Sarah (Walker) Duprey of Corcreany.  The families appeared close as Anna McCleary is a witness at one of the Turtle marriages and possibly James McCLeary at ? 's marriage

I am seeing William and Samuel Dupres in Corcreany born in the 1820's.  Hamilton's siblings were born about 1800, I assume, and Hamilton married 1848.  Do you have possible parents for Wm and Samuel as this is tight timing for Hamilton's siblings? 

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 22 19:35 BST (UK) »
On MyHeritage, a family tree had written "Frances Dupre" as a wife instead of "Frances McCLeary" who was the dau of Sarah Prey.  A witness to Frances's marriage was Wm Duprey.  Looking at Preys of COrcreany, I see Elizabeth be 1838 to Samuel and ELizabeth Pray.  Samuel Dupre had dau Elizabeth who said she was born 1843 when she married.  While not firm, Elizabeth was a probable wife of Samuel per death records.

I am also seeing William John Prey son of Wm Prey of Corcreany marry Sarah Walker, dau of Richard  in 1878.  The children of Wm John Duprey have Sarah Walker as mother per irishgenealogy

Eliza Gracey is the wife of Wm Prey m. 1848  Wm Duprey and Eliza definitely had children Thomas, James and Sarah born 1850 and after.  It looks like William John Duprey is also their son, but it would be nice to find the baptism.  Also found baptism of Wm Hugh Prey  born 1847 to Samuel and Eliza Prey.  It looks very much like  Prey/Pray is the same name as Duprey/Dupre.

Offline AdrianSydney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 22 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your replies Kat & Kiltaglassan, Kat I'll have to go over your information and glean the names to try to fit them in my 'draft' tree if possible. Also thanks for those references Kiltaglassan, I should have provided that information. I was unaware of the 'workhouse', that's interesting, given he was also supposed to be on a pension.

Offline AdrianSydney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 01:12 BST (UK) »
Regarding Hamilton Duprey & siblings, bearing in mind that them being siblings is speculation.

Elizabeth b 1791, married Henry Revell abt. 1820
Hastings b 1792, first marriage to Margaret Lowry 1823
Henry b 1795
Hugh b 1800
John Alexander b 1802 marriage to Jane Bennett 1828
Hamilton b 1804 marriage to Mary Sturgeon 1848
Patrick b 1814 marriage to Margaret McManmon, date, unsure..

Offline Mabus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering do you have any DNA testing done, and if so is it uploaded to GEDMatch? I would like to compare our tests to find out do we have a Dupre connection.

My 3x great-grandfather was Samuel Matchett (b. c1813), born in County Armagh but lived and died in Drumaran townland, Tullylish parish, quite close to where Hamilton Dupre lived when he got married. In Samuel's marriage record is a James Dupre Matchett (b. c1810), son of a George Matchett. They had a hotel in Armagh city. Tullylish is right on the County Down/Armagh border and it is quite possible Samuel Matchett was born simply a matter of miles away from Drumaran.

I am descended from Samuel Matchett who in his marriage record had a James Dupre Matchett as a witness. Whilst I have no evidence to prove it, I believe that Samuel Matchett (who had a son George) was the brother of James Dupre Matchett and thus son of George Matchett. As surnames were commonly used as middle names and sometimes forenames in Ireland, it is likely George's wife or his mother or moth-in-laws maiden name was Dupre.

Offline AdrianSydney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am a descendant of Henry Revell (b 1786) & Elizabeth Dupre (b 1791), I have taken DNA tests on Ancestry and several other sites & have uploaded them to Gedmatch, although I have not logged into that site for over 12 months. Henry & Elizabeth were my 3rd Gt Grandparents.

Kit Numbers WX5577073, ET7593352, SU857846C1, BX2072556

Adrian