Author Topic: Trapnell Family before 1850  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trapnell Family before 1850
« on: Monday 18 April 22 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is a long shot, but I am looking for any evidence or documents people might have come across linked to the Trapnell family, who appear to have been travelling equestrians and acrobats. I am particularly interested in anything from before 1850.

My great-great-great-great Grandfather was John Trapnell who appears to have been born around 1797. There are quite a few sources starting with the 1851 census that show him as an equestrian, and his children all seem to have been travelling performers too (including my great-great-great grandmother Miriam).

Censuses and baptism records show his wife as Louisa. Trees on Ancestry often claim her to be Louisa Barry or Louisa Westicote Barry, but I can't find any marriage records to confirm her last name. One of their sons did use the name John George Westicote Trapnell (according to a descendent I spoke to).

A number of trees also list his parents as Thomas Trapnell and Sarah Viner, but again I can't find any sources which link him to them (like a baptism record or a marriage record).

I am wondering if anyone knows of any resources that might have records. I can't seem to find them listed on any of the travelling people sites :(

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trapnell Family before 1850
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 22 21:30 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it will help, but some possible contacts tracing same family. States Thomas & Sarah Viner as parents of John.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Viner-41

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 02:10 BST (UK) »
Can't help yet with pre 1850, however there is a detailed report in the newspapers of Louisa and daughter Selina (and others) in trouble with the law in 1869. Happy to send you a copy if you haven't seen it.
Tuesday,  Aug. 10, 1869
Publication: Bury and Norwich Post

Also, John in trouble in 1859
Saturday,  July 16, 1859
Publication: Hertford Mercury and Reformer

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 02:26 BST (UK) »
I notice the baptism of daughter Selina (born 7 June 1840, bap 12 May 1844) has John's occupation as "cabinet maker". There seems to have been a successful cabinet maker in Bristol named Henry TRAPNELL around this time - possibly related? Henry was in business with son Caleb as "Trapnell and Son" until 1853 when Henry left and business was continued with Caleb and his brother William as "Caleb and William Trapnell". Will do some more looking.

Modified to add:
Meant to note also that daughter Mary Ann was baptised at the  same time as Selina - at St Philip and Jacob, Gloucestershire, she was "3 weeks". The family were living at Jacob St.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 03:25 BST (UK) »

Trees on Ancestry often claim her to be Louisa Barry or Louisa Westicote Barry, but I can't find any marriage records to confirm her last name.

The children born after 1845 on the 1851 census have mother's maiden name as BARRY. (I can't readily see the older children, will keep looking.)

1850 Dec qtr   Amelia Clara  (at Bristol)
1848 Jun qtr   Betsy  (at Bristol)
1845 Dec qtr  John at (Axminster)

I see also Amelia Clara's baptism on 5 March 1851 at Temple, Bristol has John's occupation as "carpenter".

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 03:36 BST (UK) »
Arthur Henry TRAPNELL birth registered Sept qtr 1859 at Bishops Storford has mmn BARRY, but I find it hard to believe he is John and Louisa's son - though it seems to say that on the 1861 census.  :-\

I can't seem to find the birth registration of the Fanny TRAPNELL (aged 6 on the 1861 census).  :-\

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 11:36 BST (UK) »
A likely birth registration for daughter Mary Ann (Miriam on 1851 census) is Jun qtr 1844 at Bristol, mmn PALMER.

There is a birth registration in Sept qtr 1840 for a Selina PALMER at North Witchford with no mother's maiden name given, which usually means the mother was unmarried. A possibility for daughter Selina?

Though I can't see any marriages for a TRAPNELL and BARRY or PALMER.  :-\

You would need to spend some money on certificates I think to see if these are the right birth registrations.

Modified to strike through:
Actually, I don't think that's correct as there is an 8 month old baby Mary Ann TRAPNELL buried at Temple, Bristol on 15 Dec 1844. So still unsure of birth registration for Mary Ann and Selina who were baptised at St Philip and Jacob in 1844 with parents John and Louisa.

Miriam consistently says she was born in Liverpool c1842. I can't see any birth registration or baptism for her.

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 November 22 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much. I am so sorry for the delay. Life happened and I completely forgot I had posted this. My husband has taken my kids out for the afternoon and I happened to come back across it.

I am going to look into all these leads now, but I am so grateful.

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 November 22 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Can't help yet with pre 1850, however there is a detailed report in the newspapers of Louisa and daughter Selina (and others) in trouble with the law in 1869. Happy to send you a copy if you haven't seen it.
Tuesday,  Aug. 10, 1869
Publication: Bury and Norwich Post

Also, John in trouble in 1859
Saturday,  July 16, 1859
Publication: Hertford Mercury and Reformer

I have managed to track the first article down, so thank you very much. If you have a copy of the second that would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Don't worry, I have found the second one now. Thank you so much for the tip. My son loves Punch and Judy so amusing to know his 5xgreat-grandfather was once performing it.