Author Topic: Gannon (Killukin Roscommon/Leitrim)  (Read 372 times)

Offline Spookyvjh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gannon (Killukin Roscommon/Leitrim)
« on: Wednesday 20 April 22 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am looking for information on the Gannon family from Killukin (Croghan RC Parish) in Roscommon near Leitrim border around Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland.  I have come to a stop but would like to know more particularly Denis Gannon and Mary Ann Stapleton - who their siblings were/parents were and who emigrated to USA/UK  and what happened thereafter.  I am aware of Thomas in India and who his siblings were (and that some family members made it to USA but not sure if all).  We have exhausted local records and online but wondered if relatives etc may hold more info that could enlighten me.  Thank you. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gannon (Killukin Roscommon/Leitrim)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 22 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I am looking for information on the Gannon family from Killukin (Croghan RC Parish) in Roscommon near Leitrim border around Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland.  I have come to a stop but would like to know more particularly Denis Gannon and Mary Ann Stapleton - who their siblings were/parents were and who emigrated to USA/UK  and what happened thereafter.  I am aware of Thomas in India and who his siblings were (and that some family members made it to USA but not sure if all).  We have exhausted local records and online but wondered if relatives etc may hold more info that could enlighten me.  Thank you.

There probably haven't been any replies to this topic because you haven't given us enough information so that we can either provide information or suggest where to search next.

Dates are critical so please include them- even approx. dates help.
Religion- especially important for pre-civil registration period (1864 for births, deaths & Catholic marriages)
"I am aware of Thomas in India and who his siblings were (and that some family members made it to USA but not sure if all)." What siblings have you found so far? have you traced any of them in U.S. records?
"We have exhausted local records and online but wondered if relatives etc may hold more info that could enlighten me." I'm doubtful that you've exhausted all "local records and online" ones but if we know exactly where you have searched there are probably other resources we could suggest.

Might be information you haven't seen on another forum (likely the same 'foggygannon' that belongs to Rootschat)-
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/gannon-co-roscommon-1840sto-us-and-india

Think the Thomas of India born 1825 not 1925 but it looks like the information you are looking for is pre-registration (Dennis died 1847/48, etc.). It may be that U.S. records will give more information on the Irish-born children.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Spookyvjh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for info.  I haven't explored USA siblings as such but I have some info on them (and know there is trees on Ancestry).   I am more particularly interested in Mary and Denis's parents and siblings.  In USA I would like to find out for sure when Mary went over but I know when she died in USA and when.  Denis Gannon I believe to be born around 1800.  I think he is related to a Gilbert Gannon (as they were joint tenants) possibly elder brother or cousin, but another Gilbert Gannon was born around 1818 which fits more with names of parents that I am thinking if going along lines of traditional naming patterns.  Denis and Gilbert tenants 1830's but gone by the time of Griffiths Valuations 1846.  Bollincullen, Killukin.  As for Maria (Mary) Stapleton, I know a James Stapleton held a plot in a nearby area (not Bollincullen) but don't know if related.  We think Mary and Denis may have married in Croghan around 1823/24 but I have been looking through Parochial register for Killukin and have seen no entries for Stapletons so far (still working through it) which makes me think her family may have been from nearby area but not Bollincullen Killukin.  I think Denis parents could be a Thomas Gannon and a Bridget Verdon but not totally sure as the elder Gilbert from looking at other trees and posts suggest his father is a Patrick (That Gilbert born around 1795 and married a Catherine Collins).  Roman Catholic. We have had a report done that found no more info on Denis and Mary that found nothing more.  It is possible they were related to Dolan family and Cox in some way as Sponsors.   I think the family must have left the area by 1846.  Yes I believe same relatives as FoggyGannon.  I found the Parachochial Records for Killukin on familysearch and am trying to scan through every page to see names I recognise such as who Sponsors are to work out relations.  Hanly, Cox, Dolan.  Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 22 20:23 BST (UK) »
You are not giving us important details.

I am more particularly interested in Mary and Denis's parents and siblings.  In USA I would like to find out for sure when Mary went over but I know when she died in USA and when.  Denis Gannon I believe to be born around 1800.
You know when she died in America but haven't told us when and where her death took place. Have you seen her death certificate? Depending on the date and state that certificate might give name of her parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!