Author Topic: Welsh reference... please translate!  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Welsh reference... please translate!
« on: Wednesday 20 April 22 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have an important (to me) short reference to a Williams family of Llywel that is in Welsh

Please help me decipher the article ... I think it refers to John Williams and Roger Williams

Please help!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh reference... please translate!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 22 22:17 BST (UK) »
My attempt

ROGER WILLIAMS: I have nothing to add about him from what I set out about the history of Ynysgau, Merthyr, apart from he had a daughter who was the wife of Mr William Jenkins, Ludlow, and so he's a forefather of the Reeses of Y Ton, Llandovery.

JOHN WILLIAMS: I judge him to be a close relative to Mr Roger Williams, if not a son. All we know of his history is contained in the following definition from the manuscripts of Morgan Williams: - "The Reverend Mr John Williams of Sclydach, in the parish of Llywel, member and former minister with us in Cefnarthen, who died 7 February 1742 aged 42, was noted for his patience and gentleness. He was a very skillful doctor. He was distinctly useful to his family and neighbourhood and there was great grieving for him, not only by his family but everyone who knew him. His wife Anne survived him by only a few weeks. They had three children, Rachel, Harry and Roger

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh reference... please translate!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 22 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Mabel Bagshawe

Fantastic!!!!

That us the key reference I was looking  for!

It is the culmination of weeks of research into this Williams family. who I may be related to.

The information that  Rev. John Williams was  living in Ys Clydach and died in 1742  and  his wife Anne a few weeks after, pinpoints the family for me!

Thanks!

Best Regards!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser