Author Topic: Hepzibah Holland 1871,1891,1901,1911  (Read 976 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hepzibah Holland 1871,1891,1901,1911
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 April 22 16:01 BST (UK) »
What sort of interesting back story  ???
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline gjervis

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 22 16:35 BST (UK) »
Not sure until you find one. There is also a Hepzibah Smith in Harry Potter and there might have been some interest about why such an unusual forename was chosen as a witch in the half blood prince.

Thanks again it seems that the Smith family was pretty conventual.

graham
Names: Rushent, Husselbee, Husselby, Crutchley, Woodier, Jervis, Barker,

Locations: Staffordshire, Wiltshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, London

Military: Grenadier Guards, Yeoman of the Guards, Crimea, Army WW1

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 April 22 16:45 BST (UK) »
such an unusual forename

Hepzibah is an unusual forename to our ears, but being a Biblical name was extremely common in the 18th and 19th centuries - just check it out on freeBMD  :)

I think it's rather unlikely that that there would be an significant 'back story' relating to the family you mention.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gjervis

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 April 22 17:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I have caused you annoyance but I do see family history as particularly about stories of our ancestors in what they thought about and reacted to in reports in news papers, gossip in the local and the hardships they had to endure.

I will think twice before using Rootschat without explaining about why I post up requests in the future.

Graham

Locations: Staffordshire, Wiltshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, London

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 April 22 17:33 BST (UK) »
1871 she is with John and Sarah in Pointon, 1891 she is a visitor in Pointon, 1901 she is living alone in Pointon.
Death
Hephzibah Holland 85
Dec 1908 Bourne

Lincolnshire Workhouse Deaths
Hepzebah Holland 85
admitted from Pointon, buried at Pointon
cause of death  Cerebral hem'ge

John's death ?
Death
John Holland 57
Mar 1881 Bourne

Burial
John Holland 57
12th February 1881
Sempringham
abode Pointon

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 April 22 18:49 BST (UK) »
I didn`t get what you were looking for.

There was a tv series in the 70s called Carrie`s War; there was an Hepzibah in "that".

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 April 22 23:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I have caused you annoyance but I do see family history as particularly about stories of our ancestors in what they thought about and reacted to in reports in news papers, gossip in the local and the hardships they had to endure.

I will think twice before using Rootschat without explaining about why I post up requests in the future.

From my earlier reply

And did Eliots character marry John Holland in Lincolnshire 1842 & have 2 children?  I think not so where did that come from??

But they are not your ancestors.  You appear to have just plucked any marriage off freebmd that had a Hepzibah name then asked us  to find them on numerous censuses.   I cannot honestly see what you hoped to achieve

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 April 22 08:52 BST (UK) »

Graham

Graham,

Well if you posted a request like this on the "Lighter Side" and just say at the outset that this is to look at the backstory of a character in a novel then I'm sure people would enjoy the fun of it.

All the best,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline gjervis

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 April 22 09:52 BST (UK) »

Graham
Graham,

Well if you posted a request like this on the "Lighter Side" and just say at the outset that this is to look at the backstory of a character in a novel then I'm sure people would enjoy the fun of it.

All the best,
Trystan

Have clearly failed to explain myself. Am not writing a novel but researching my wife's extended ancestors in Lincolnshire and John Holland is my wife's 3rd great great uncle. I was intrigued by the forename Hepzibah and wondered what influenced her parents in its choice.

It was never my wish to upset a number of people but I guess we approach our interest in family history from different angles.

best wishes

Graham