Author Topic: QUESTION ..1776 Birth in Falkirk,Stirling  (Read 298 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
QUESTION ..1776 Birth in Falkirk,Stirling
« on: Thursday 21 April 22 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have a 1776 birth registered in Falkirk,Stirling it gives the childs name, with the word "Natural" beside it, and then the parents names.
....but....all the other birth names  have the word "Lawful".
Question...is my child illegitimate, which I am sort of leaning towards.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION ..1776 Birth in Falkirk,Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 22 16:36 BST (UK) »
The word 'Natural' would indicate, as you think, that the birth of the baby was to unmarried parents.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 22 18:37 BST (UK) »
Since the child was illegitimate, you should also look to see if there is any mention of the matter in the minutes of the kirk session.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 22 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica....just needed confirmation on my thought.
Always read all other entries on the pages to recognize if there are any differences.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger