Author Topic: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER  (Read 1545 times)

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi there, I know it’s a long shot but wondering if anyone may be planning a visit to Archives Tas in Hobart and could possibly look up the following register of banns, not sure if it is off the shelf volume or on microfilm.

https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/tas/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fARCHIVES_ITEMS$002f0$002fARCHIVES_ITE_DIX:NS349-1-8/email?d=ent%3A%2F%2FARCHIVES_ITEMS%2F0%2FARCHIVES_ITE_DIX%3ANS349-1-8%7E%7E0
Description Register of Banns

Register of Banns - Holy Trinity Hobart
Item Number NS349/1/8
Access Open
Location Hobart A 186 1
Copy Number Z2255

I have the marriage certificate but there is ambiguity in the groom’s surname which I would like to verify against what Surname is recorded on the banns, as I have been unable to confirm death records for either bride or groom.

Bride:   Mary Ann ROBINSON
Groom:   Henry Dowse PALMER or Henry DOWSE
Marriage:  16 June 1834
Where:   Holy Trinity, Hobart
Source   https://stors.tas.gov.au/NI/821001

Groom
I know there are some newspaper records of a Henry Palmer DOWSE in Brisbane (1846-1848) and trying to see if they are one and the same person. I have ruled out death of a Henry PALMER in Hobart on 17 Aug 1855, who also had wife and child named Mary Ann, after reading his Will/Probate.

Bride
From witnesses on 1837 and 1852 marriage certificates I believe Mary Ann ROBINSON was born in Hobart on 8 Dec 1817 to parents Edward ROBINSON and Elizabeth BURN.

Child
I believe they had one daughter, Mary Ann PALMER b.12 Mar 1837 / bap.2 Apr 1837 in Hobart, father listed as a Labourer in Hobart, no other information on the parents after that apart from in the child’s marriage notice in Hobart 1852, stating she was the only daughter of Henry PALMER.

Thanks
Donna, Melbourne
BANKS, CHIRNSIDE, DUKE, SEATON, WOIDE

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Didn't your 1834 marriage occur nearly a century before the start of those banns (1933-1952)?

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi – when I originally found the source listed on page 13 of the “Church Registers held by the AOT” https://stors.tas.gov.au/download/AU-7-0095-02508_1 , the coverage dates next to “Register of Banns” showed 20 Oct 1833 to 27 Jan 1952 so I was assuming the start date listed on their website of 20 Oct 1933 was a typo, I will see if I can contact AOT to verify.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi - I'll check Z2255 (microfilm) during the week. I suspect '1933' is a typo as other entries and the 2011 edition of the index have it as 1833

M

Offline donnaleeseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thankyou so much Mathew, I'm very grateful, please there is no rush.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I think this  is the information you have already seen.

The record of marriages in Hobart Town, 1830-1835, is inconclusive re his surname. 
NAME_INDEXES:821002
Resource: RGD36/1/2 no 2490
https://www.libraries.tas.gov.au/how-to/Pages/Names-Index-content.aspx

The image shown is a some kind of transcript as the entries are all in the same handwriting.  His name is recorded as Henry Dowse PALMER but apparently he signed as Henry DOWSE.

No 55, image 135
Henry Dowse Palmer, bachelor,
Mary Ann Robinson, spinster
were married  in this church by banns, 16 June, 1834,by me, P Palmer at Hobart Town
Marriage solemnised between us:
Henry Dowse
'the mark X of Mary Ann Robinson.
Witnesses: Caroline Robinson, William Capurn?

Interesting that the officiating minister also has the surname Palmer.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 02:24 BST (UK) »
Here is the marriage certificate from the original Holy Trinity register (NS349-1-9 off microfilm) Doesn't show any more than the copy unfortunately :-\

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tas Archives - Register of Banns (1834) MaryAnn ROBINSON / Henry DOWSE or PALMER
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 04:34 BST (UK) »
Banns from NS349/1/8 Poor copy from the microfilm but does show full name as Henry Dowse Palmer and he is a convict. Mary Ann Robinson was free.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 22 06:45 BST (UK) »
I realise that the image I saw (from  https://www.libraries.tas.gov.au/how-to/Pages/Names-Index-content.aspx) and I posted in Reply #5, was a copy from the actual register which has been posted by Tas Tyger.  On the image of the register Henry has signed his name.  His handwriting clearly shows Henry Dowse but that's followed by a long squiggle which, in turn,  is overlaid by an underlining which seems to be part of the Rev P Palmer's signature. 

So do we assume the squiggly bit is "Palmer"? His two forenames are so carefully written and then that squiggle  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk