Author Topic: Henry William McKenzie born 1869  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry William McKenzie born 1869
« on: Sunday 01 May 22 02:29 BST (UK) »
Looking for Census 1871/1881 for Henry William McKenzie born 1869 in Inverness but no BC.  Parents William and Ann nee Gordon of Cromdale, Intervallan and Advie. Found one in Aberdeenshire mother Mary but he definitely stated Inverness on army papers.  First son was Gordon and he has reference endorsed by Gen Major Charles Gordon who knew his father probably at Crimean War as many paintings of this war in his home in Perth Western Australia.  He would have been either 2 in census 1871 or 12 in 1881 census.  My last chance at finding my grandfather who was a beautiful person who was the 1st pipe major in WA and played the bagpipes and piano and taught highland dancing at the Caledonian society in Fremantle port of Perth in WA.  He first went to Shanghai and Hong Kong. Apparently his mother died young and he didn’t get along with his father a farmer when he left at age 18. Diane Penberthy
D

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry William McKenzie born 1869
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 22 10:13 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the site for Scottish Records, it is free to search, small fee to view records. Statutory Records began in 1855, however I cannot see a birth registration for Henry William in Scotland, I cannot see a marriage for his parents or any likely census.

Can you add any information which might help?

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
I note this on Ancestry, is this the person from your post?

Henry William McKenzie
Birth Date:   1869
Death Date:   8 Dec 1949
Cemetery:   Karrakatta Cemetery and Crematorium
Burial or Cremation Place:   Karrakatta, Nedlands City, Western Australia.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 22 01:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for helping.  What an enigma? He is the one at Karrakatta in 1949.  He put mother Ann Gordon dec’d on his MC, and Inverness on his army papers in 1887 where he became a groom. 
Because there is a HW born 10/2/1869 in Maryculter Aberdeenshire mother Mary Cockie it must be the one.  Also Ann born 1867 and John 1870.  We thought he was an only child.  We should ask more questions.  Obviously my mother Jessie Heather MacKenzie did not. We have been to Inverness but should have been looking at Aberdeenshire.
That is that.  I am now too old to look further.  He became a policeman here after the army, and a very popular figure.  Thanks.  Diane

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 22 02:14 BST (UK) »
He became a policeman here after the army, and a very popular figure.  Thanks.  Diane

The Henry William McKENZIE who married Charlotte PAGE and died in 1949 was a brass polisher and worked for the Midland Railway.  He gave his date of birth as 10 May 1869 on those records.

Was he a policeman before that?

Debra  :)

Offline Penberthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 22 03:47 BST (UK) »
That is the one but McKenzie not Wilson.  Yes he left the police force as they didn’t allow married quarters in those days 1898. Thanks anyway.
Diane

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 May 22 04:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry I fixed that, I was thinking of someone else.  ;D

Have you tried to get his records from his time with the police?

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 May 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
Because there is a HW born 10/2/1869 in Maryculter Aberdeenshire mother Mary Cockie it must be the one.
It's never safe to assume that because someone is the only possible candidate, they must be the right one when other details don't match - in this case the month and county of birth and mother's names are all different, and he has no middle name.

But he can safely be dismissed in any case. According to the deaths index at Scotland's People, Henry MacKenzie, mother's maiden surname Cockie, died in Glasgow in 1928, aged 59.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 May 22 10:07 BST (UK) »
I note the birth record but he is not there 1871/1881.

HENRY MCKENZIE   1869   Born    Maryculter, Kincardineshire

Colin