Author Topic: Carruthers & Armstrong in Lanercost 1755  (Read 1109 times)

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
Carruthers & Armstrong in Lanercost 1755
« on: Tuesday 10 May 22 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has any info on this couple who married 12 Jan 1755 in Lanercost, Cumberland?
He was Wm Carruthers and she Mary Armstrong. They appear in the legacy of a Jane Armstrong, spinster's will 1767, Brampton, Cumberland: 'Mary Carruthers wife of William Carruthers Quartermaster in the barracks of Dublin' referred to in Rootschat comment.

Wm was later made Cornet in the Irish First Regiment of Horse. Sons James, John, Joseph also entered the military. Daughter Anne married Erasmus Goodwin, another military man. Daughter Susannah Maria (possibly born Hanover Sq, Middx 1765) married Dublin lawyer Wm Magrath.

So, I first have them in Ireland in 1767 - but don't know anything of their families or when/why they went to Ireland exactly. Any info welcome, but particularly their connections to England/Scotland.
Many thanks.

Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carruthers & Armstrong in Lanercost 1755
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
There are 3 Mary Armstrong's baptised in Lanercost 19/11/1729 Father John;14/11/1728 Father William; 17/4/1734 Father Jude Armstrong. The last one looks more likely, and she would have been about 21 when she married William Carruthers. There are trees online, one of which has William born to a Jane Carruthers, baptised 2/2/1731 Brampton, Cumberland, her birth date is down as 1706 Brampton. It also states that William died in Ireland 2/4/1795. All needs checking out of course.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 22 17:05 BST (UK) »
Paco,
Wonderful leads - will check them out :) :)
Many thanks
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 22 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello iem,

As far as I remember from the research I did years ago, Jane Armstrong was the sister of John Armstrong, Surgeon and Apothecary of Brampton. John was the son of John Armstrong of Dalbeth, Dumfriesshire and Christian Armstrong who was the daughter of Francis Armstrong and Christian Elliot of Whithaugh, Roxburghshire.