Author Topic: 9 North Street Annan  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Garry Edgar2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
9 North Street Annan
« on: Tuesday 10 May 22 16:10 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather’s gravestone in the Annan cemetery reads that he died at 9 North street early in 1901.

His death certificate and the 1891 census also recorded the same address.

I’ve looked online at the old maps of the time and can not find a building to match.

Based on the current street numbers and the old maps, I can see that the buildings at 1,3,5 and 7 still exist. Each of these buildings carry names(and not numbers) on the old maps. 9 is probably where the athletic stadium now stands.

My questions relate to if the street numbers from 1890/1900 would match with today’s numbers?

What would the purpose of giving a street address on a grave be when it doesn’t relate to a fancy name if a house etc?

Family legend claims some connection to Robbie Burns, but he lived in North street a long time before(?) And based on the location of the plaque I believe is in the street, it would have been near numbers 2 or 4(from memory)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: 9 North Street Annan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 17:48 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents also have their address on their gravestone.  Although  not buried  in Scotland, they were Scottish and it was just an ordinary terraced house.  I have seen quite a few gravestones with addresses on them, so think it just maybe a choice thing.

I've looked at the old maps of Annan and looking at them from 1857 onwards I dont think 9 North Street was on the side of the road where the athletics track is. If you use side by side map from National Library of Scotland you can see what is there and what was there before and it doesn't seem to have changed.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.228470372381416&lat=54.99089&lon=-3.26434&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

The houses on the opposite side to the track, at the beginning of the street are relatively new, and the maps show that houses have stood on the same site for a long time, so looks like a bit of demolition and rebuilding in maybe the 1960's.

It is a very strong possibility that the street has been renumbered, possibly on more than one occasion.

Facebook has an old Annan page, they may have some old photos of the street
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 19:16 BST (UK) »
Looking at the index to the valuation roll from 1891-95, No. 9 North Street was owned by Mrs Jessie Ferguson. The tenants/occupiers are :

1891 - Thomas Carruthers
1892 - Thomas Carruthers
1894 - John Nicholson
1895 - Thomas Kerr

The next date available is 1902.

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 19:35 BST (UK) »
Jumping in late here, but most of North Street, Bruce Street,  Lady Street, English  Street and George Street were demolished under compulsory purchase in the early 1950s. The houses had no internal running water.
Pete
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello there
I have a query about Annan and wondered if anyone could help. My mother's cousin was Cyril Herriot Gall and he died, aged only 9.  His address on his death certificate was Bowling Green Cottage, Annan.  I wondered if this was still there?  His parents were living in Spain and his death was reported by his guardian, James Rae.
I'm not sure why he remained in Annan. Possibly to attend school in Scotland rather than Spain
Many thanks
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
Do you have a date of death at all?
Pete
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:42 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, sorry Pete it was 1929

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett