Author Topic: Manor of Wetheral court book  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manor of Wetheral court book
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 June 22 21:22 BST (UK) »
December 16, 82

John Hall of Heads Nook, being absent from court, took etc. two acres of land (more or less), with appurtenances, called Fenton Croft, and one close of meadowland, with appurtenances, in the fields of Heads Nook, from the surrender of William Graham of Heads Nook aforesaid, for the yearly rent of 5 pence; to have, etc.
[marginated] Rent 5d. Entry fine 20d.

John Graham took etc., from the surrender of Robert Sealby, one house with appurtenances in Wetheral, for the yearly rent of 9 pence; to have etc.
[marginated] Entry fine 3 shillings

October 1, 84
Be it noted that on the first day of October William Graham came and took from the surrender of Thomas Graham three acres of land lying in the fields of Newby, for the annual rent of one shilling & six pence
[marginated] Entry fine 5 shillings. Rent 1 shilling 6 pence. Admitted

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 June 22 02:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Bookbox.

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 20:29 BST (UK) »
Could you please translate two more Latin admittances, which I've attached ?
And also help decipher two words from some English text attached? The text is from a 1707 Court Leet jury decision regarding the size of a piece of land, and reads:
"upholding the Gate, & hedge of the breadth 10 yds as afores[ai]d [etc?]
John Graham Son of William Graham in his Fathers name & upon his
[authority?], being of one party & Tho.Lowson the other party have Referd the"

I think the two words (in red text) are abbreviations.
Many thanks.   

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
The court being absent, John Grame came and surrendered etc. one house with appurtenances situated in Wetheral within the said manor, and a parcel of land containing by estimation three acres, more or less, situated within the fields of Wetheral etc., for the annual rent of 3 shillings, to the use and benefit of Stephen Varty of Wetheral; and he made settlement for it etc., and thus he was admitted etc.
[marginated]
Sep. 8 (16)66
Rent 3 shillings
Entry fee 13 shillings
Copy made

John Grame, son of Robert of Holinyate, took from the surrender of the aforesaid Robert his father one messuage, recently Penreth,* for the annual rent of 4 shillings; occupation of the premises reserved for the aforesaid Robert and Katherine his wife, during the term of their natural lives and of whichever of them lives longer.
[marginated]
Rent 4 shillings
Entry fee 16 shillings
Copy made

* possibly means ‘recently occupied by Penreth’ ?

English extract
… as afores(ai)d &c.
… in his name & upon his
acco(un)t

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 23:08 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks, Bookbox !!

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 August 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
The attached Latin surrender/admittance is from the 1729 Court Leet.
I think it is the surrender of a messuage/tenement by John Graham snr to [his son?] John Graham jnr with reversion to John jnr's brother Robert Graham - but I would be grateful if it could be translated for me.
Many thanks.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 August 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
I think it is the surrender of a messuage/tenement by John Graham snr to [his son?] John Graham jnr with reversion to John jnr's brother Robert Graham - but I would be grateful if it could be translated for me.

Yes, you're right -- and you put it so much more succinctly. ;)

=====
To this court came John Graham the elder, through Thomas Mitchinson his lawfully appointed attorney, and he surrendered into the hands of the lord of the aforesaid manor one messuage & tenement situated, lying and being in Wetheral within the aforesaid manor, for the customary rent of 5 shillings and 6 pence per year, for the use and behoof of John Graham the younger and his assigns for and during the term of his natural life; and after his decease for the use and behoof of Robert Graham his brother, his heirs and assigns for ever, according to the custom of the aforesaid manor; and to the same court came the aforesaid John Graham the younger and Robert Graham and they took from the lord of the aforesaid manor the aforesaid premises with appurtenances; to have and to hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances to the aforesaid John Graham the younger and his assigns for and during the term of his natural life, and after his death to have and to hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances to the aforesaid Robert Graham, his heirs and assigns, according to the custom of the aforesaid manor; yielding and paying thenceforth annually the aforesaid customary dues on the accustomed feast-days, and doing all other services then formerly due and by right accustomed; and they paid as in the margin, and they did fealty, and thus they were thenceforth admitted tenants.
[marginated] rent 5s. 6d, fine £1 13s. [?]d

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 August 22 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox.
I'm sure you've heard it many times before :D but can I please say again how much your translations and transcriptions are appreciated - not only by me, but by many other Rootschatters I'm sure.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 August 22 22:18 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome.
I should point out that it doesn't actually state the relationship between John Graham the elder and the younger, but father and son does seem likely.