Author Topic: Neilston Poors Asylum?  (Read 908 times)

Offline ChristineCK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neilston Poors Asylum?
« on: Tuesday 10 May 22 18:46 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to trace an ancestor who lived here for a while. Family stories say he was an orphan so it makes sense.

I think I've found him on the 1861 census as Henry Frevas, although in 1851 he was Travies and by the time of his marriage in 1871 he was Travers and the family are still Travers now.

Anyway, in 1861 he's 13, living in the Poors Asylum in Neilston and working as a Bleachfield Worker.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Poors Asylum?

I can find references to a workhouse and a poorhouse but I don't know if the Poors Asylum was a particular place or just the way it was recorded.

We can't find any birth or baptism records for him so this might well be a dead end but it would be interesting to know what his life might have been like.

Any tips welcome.

Thank you

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Neilston Poors Asylum?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 19:11 BST (UK) »
Did he marry in Scotland? If so the marriage certificate should tell you who is parents were and if they were deceased, that would give you some names to search for.

Offline ChristineCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
He did marry, but unknown  in the parents names box on the marriage cert unfortunately

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
A poorhouse in Scotland is more or less equivalent to a workhouse in England. It seems likely that Neilston Poors Asylum was another name for Neilston Poorhouse.

People who, for whatever reason, could not afford the basics of food, clothing and shelter could apply to their parish for help. Until 1845 this was done by the kirk. From 1845, the task of dealing with the poor was carried out by a parochial board.

When someone applied for relief, they might be given a small sum of money with which to look after themselves, or they might be taken into the poorhouse. In the case of an orphan, it would normally be the latter, though young children were often boarded out with suitable familes for a small weekly fee.

The parochial board for any parish was responsible for providing a poorhouse. Sometimes a group of parochial boards would combine to provide a joint poorhouse to serve all their parishes.

I don't know which transcription you are using that lists him as Frevas (probably Ancestry?). The index at Scotland's People has Trevas, so it is likely that your transcription is wrong. You should look at the original and make up your own mind what you think it says.

He's in the 1851 census (SP index) as Henry Jarvies, 3, pauper, in the household of Margaret Deans, 65, pauper nurse, in Neilston. This specifically means that he was being looked after by the parochial board. If the Neilston parochial board records have survived, they may contain quite detailed information about him, including details of his parentage.

Start at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rj4/ - if they don't have the Neilston parochial board records they should know where they are, assuming they have survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the Neilston kirk session minutes from January 1847 to July 1851 and there is no mention of anyone called Travers or anything like it called up for committing fornication. As Forfarian says, the parochial board records are your best bet, if you can find them.

Are his parents' names mentioned on his death certificate?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 22:06 BST (UK) »
The 1851 says he was born in Barrhead, so it may be necessary to look for the Barrhead parochial board records as well as or instead of Neilston.

NRS doesn't have Barrhead Kirk Session minutes for the late 1840s, though it does have the Levern quoad sacra ones, but 1848-1852 is missing.

Correction: no it doesn't. It's the 1861 census that says Barrhead.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ChristineCK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 22:15 BST (UK) »

Are his parents' names mentioned on his death certificate?

There's a James Travers showing as a father on his death certificate, just ------ Travers for his mother.

But Unknown is clearly written on his marriage certificate for both parents. Seems a bit odd that he remembers his father's name in old age, or maybe they were more particular in later years about what was recorded.

I have half-heartedly looked up James Travers of the right sort of age but it feels a bit like a stab in the dark if I don't have anything linking them, I could just pick any James Travers from anywhere in the country of that age.

I am amazed by how quickly you can all look this stuff up by the way, I am such a novice. Henry is the first complicated person I've come across. My gran remembers stories about him (her grandfather) from her childhood although she never met him, she'd love to learn more.

I'm so grateful for your time and efforts.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
One possibililty...

In 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a155279f4040b9d6e658183/margaret-deans-1851-renfrewshire-neilston-1786-?locale=en Henry is showing as born in Neilston.

There is another child, Philip, in 1851, showing as born in Neilston www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15510cf4040b9d6e63ef2f/mary-colligan-1851-renfrewshire-neilston-1791-?locale=en

I did see a marriage in the Old Parish Register for:

Owen Travers and Rose Colgan
07/09/1834
573/240 111
Paisley Middle

So, wondering if these people connect to Henry?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 22:46 BST (UK) »
Two RC baptisms (from SP):

Philip Travers - parents Owen Travers and Rose Colgan
birth 5/12/1839 and bapt. 1/1/1840 at Paisley, St Mirin's

Agnes Travers - parents Owen Travers and Rose Colligan
birth 0/0/1843 and bapt. 7/4/1843 at Barrhead, St John's

Possible entry for Rose Colligan//Colgan with some children in 1851? www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a155109f4040b9d6e63e920/mary-gibbon-1851-renfrewshire-neilston-1816-?locale=en

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk