Author Topic: Ernest William Lincoln b. 1859 Hatfield Registration District  (Read 258 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ernest William Lincoln b. 1859 Hatfield Registration District
« on: Wednesday 11 May 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to establish a dna link which I think is through this family back to mid 1600's, however I am going round in circles with the above.

Having established his birth, mmn Nobbs/Nobles I am trying to find his parents and the generations further back.  I believe his parents may have been Henry Lincoln and Mary Nobbs/Nobles m. 1858 in Hatfield.  I think Henry died in about 1862 but I cannot find the family in the 1861 census.

Ernest William is the subject of many family trees on Ancestry but pretty much they have all copied each other and don't have much in the way of sources.  Most indicate that Henry's wife is Mary Ann Learwood, which could have been a first wife, yet she doesn't appear to die prior to his 1858 marriage - if indeed, they are the same people.

I think the 1871 census (RG10/1374/96/2) has Ernest William as William, nephew of Head of household William Lincoln & wife Hannah.

And who was Henry's father: again many of the Ancestry trees indicate his name was Joseph but I can't verify this.

It would be very helpful if someone was able to bridge the gap between Ernest William Lincoln 1859 and his grandfather ? Lincoln, via Ernest's father - possibly Henry.

Thanks in advance,  Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest William Lincoln b. 1859 Hatfield Registration District
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 16:12 BST (UK) »
A copy of the 1858 marriage cert will give his fathers name & also show whether he was a widower

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 16:26 BST (UK) »
Yes of course, you are right Carole.  I will see if I can find an image online as don't really want to end up spending a lot simply to verify a dna connection.

Modified:  Actually think I had done this already - it is on Find My Past.  His father is given as William Lincoln, a Labourer and Henry is noted as a bachelor.  I think it was these facts that caused me to question the assertion on most family trees that his father was Joseph and that his wife was Mary Ann Learwood.

So where are Henry, Mary & Ernest William in 1861 then?

Thanks, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
If Dad is Henry, this may be what becomes of him

LINCOLN, HENRY
age at death      27 
Q4 1862
HATFIELD AND WELWYN  Volume 03A  Page 189

William Lincoln from 1871 has a son Henry the right age - so may be him.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel and yes William Lincoln b. 1810 ish has a son Henry b. 1835ish who is the right age to be the one who died in 1862.

However, if the Henry who died is the father of William (Ernest William) but also the son of the elder William, the relationship between the elder William and the younger William (Ernest William) should be grandson, rather than nephew in 1871.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire