Author Topic: Henry Rees "Society Martha" and his son William Rees of Cilfig Cottage  (Read 697 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoping for some further help on the above. I have found snippets of information but nothing specific on their years/dates of birth and death and family members.

I know from the obituary of Henry Rees (1834-1908), master mariner and later tin plate manufacturer, that his great grandfather was also a Henry Rees who was instrumental in the early Calvanistic Methodist movement in Llanelly:

“ HIS GREAT GRANDFATHER - ANOTHER HENRY REES – WAS THE FIRST LAYMAN TO IDENTIFY HIMSELF IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTY OF CARMARTHEN WITH THE RISING CAUSE OF METHODISM AS PREACHED TO WHITFIELD AND HIS WELSH CO-ADJUSTERS IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY, IT WAS HE, WHO GUIDED THE MOVEMENT WHICH RESULTED IN THE BUILDING OF CAPEL NEWYYDD.“

(Note: his great grandfather is not to be confused with another Henry Rees (1798-1868) another very prominent calvanistic Methodist minister. I think this Henry Rees is from a different lineage, as he was from Denbighshire).

From the obituary description this seems to be the Henry Rees mentioned:

“According to the Victorian historian David Bowen, the Calvinistic Methodist Church in Llanelli was founded when Walter Bowen and Henry Rees left the Baptists in Felinfoel and joined the Methodists at Goppa Fach. Gelli Onn c1900. They then met in a dwelling house in Llanelli owned by an old lady who was known only as 'Martha'. This religious assembly became known as 'Society Martha'. Preaching then began in 1786 in a house near West End known as 'Gelli Onn'. Here they also held the first Sunday School in Llanelli which was visited by Thomas Charles of Bala. By 1809 Gelli Onn had become too small for the Calvinistic Methodists, and so they moved to their present location in Felinfoel Road at Capel Newydd. The road system 'Gelli Onn' took on the name of the old building after it was demolished to make way for the present traffic system.”

And another article states:

“One was the name of Walter Bowen, a draper and merchant (father of the late Rev. John Bowen,) and the other was Henry Rees, a smallholder, (father of Mr. William Rees, Cilfig Cottage.)”

So we know Henry was a “smallholder” and he had a son William Rees of Cilfig Cottage.

I have also read 2 members were expelled from Adulam, Felinfoel in 1780 for attending a service at the Calvanistic chapel at Gopa Fach, presumably Walter Bowen and Henry Rees.

Hoping that someone may have come across Henry and William before and therefore have some more information on them.

(Just for reference. Henry Rees’s (1834-1908) father was also another Henry Rees (1809-1866, and also a master mariner)

Thank you

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Rees "Society Martha" and his son William Rees of Cilfig Cottage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 18:40 BST (UK) »
I didn’t think I would but I have managed to make some progress on this (see below).

In case it gets lost in the mix, I have a couple of follow on queries that members may be able to help with

Does anyone know what the occupation “Brick, on” is (see attached)
If anyone can find Cilfig Cottage or William and.or his second wife Elizabeth in censuses after 1851 please let me know

I managed to find William Rees as a “brick,on” at Cilfig, Llanelly in 1841 with his wife Catherine, both age 60. The only appropriate marriage I can find is in Llanelly to a Catherine James on 01 Nov 1808.

I think Catherine may have died in 1847 with a stated age of 69.

In 1851 William is at Cilfig cottage as a Farmer, now married to an Elizabeth. William is age 71 of Pembrey and Elizabeth is 45 of Abergwilly. William Rees, Widower of Cilfig marrying Elizabeth Jenkins on 1 Nov 1849 at Llanelly. The marriage record confirms his father was Henry.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
Here they are in 1861 - New Road, Llanelli, which is the address of neighbouring properties in 1851. Same neighbours as in 1851, as well

Wm Rees    81 retired farmer b Llanelli
Elizth Rees    56 b Abergwili [transcribed by Ancestry as Uberywill]

RG9; 4113; 9; 11

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:08 BST (UK) »
1871 - Vauxhall, Llanelli

Elizabeth Rees    64  Widow, b Abergwili. Lodging house keeper   
Thomas Evans   55    Lodger

Piece 5466, folio 110, p    21

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:14 BST (UK) »
Excellent, managed to find reference to his Will on Ancestry. He died 05 Jul 1861

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:16 BST (UK) »
I was  just about to suggest this death registration!

REES, WILLIAM
Age        81 
Q3 1861   LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 281

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:18 BST (UK) »
Notice from the Welshman, 12th July 1861

On the 5th inst., aged 82, William Rees, Llanelly, (commonly known as Rees of Stradey). For many years a consistent member of the Calvinistic Methodists.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 20:23 BST (UK) »
Notice from the Welshman, 12th July 1861

On the 5th inst., aged 82, William Rees, Llanelly, (commonly known as Rees of Stradey). For many years a consistent member of the Calvinistic Methodists.

Great find and ties up with his father being one of the founders of the Calvanistic movement in Llanelly

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 May 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
There's an item in Welsh in the "Lyfr Chronicl Marmora", vol 40, published Jan 1911 -

"On the Sabbath about 1798, Mr David Jones, vicar of Llangan, was preaching in the Goppa, Pontardulais, and  won over were Henry Rees and Walter Bowen, two of the Baptist Deacons, Felinfoel, to join the Methodists Llanelli, and I remember a widow and son of Walter Bowen, and one son of Henry Rees that I knew".