Author Topic: Henry McKee of Bangor  (Read 788 times)

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry McKee of Bangor
« on: Sunday 15 May 22 08:19 BST (UK) »
this one has me stumped.

I have a Henry McKee born about 1827, Death Feb 1901 Belfast - have death record, is recorded as a widow

I only know 1 daughters name but there was at least 2 - There's a newspaper wedding announcment, mentioning Sarah is the oldest daughter of Henry.

Sarah Ann McKee, born about 1856, Bangor - from census
She Married a James Morell  13 oct 1881

There's a family burying ground at Bangor church yard, I have no idea which church yard this is, but it will be McKee. As James Morell is meant to be Canadian - but Sarah and James have a daughter buried there  Mary Amelia Morell 1883 - 1887

Henry is listed as Keeper of Kitchen on daughters marriage and Keeper of Dining room on his death record.

anyone have any idea's on where else I can look. I've spent hours going through irishgeneolgy, only to find no other children. In both Belfast and Bangor. The only maybe i've come up with is a marriage Between a Henry McKee and a Mary Ann Brown in 1845, they were both minors

Now there's another Henry McKee in Bangor, he married a couple of Sarahs, but was a grocer. This is not my Henry
Down and Antrim - Orr, Kelly, Murray, Davey, Little, Phillips, McDowell, Morell, McKee, Crothers, Freeburn, Stewart, Holmes, Hill, McInnis.

Dublin and Kildare - Doyle, McMullen, Duffy

Other - Dundonald Ayrshire, Barrow-in-Furness Lancashire. Kent, Victoria and Western Australia

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry McKee of Bangor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 22 09:27 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 22 09:39 BST (UK) »
Henry's death record has been amended by the registrar from 74 yrs to 72 yrs so born c1829. His son-in-law James Morell was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05739/4620257.pdf

On Sarah Ann's marriage record, Henry was a 'keeper of cooking dep(o)t'?.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
Henry's death record has been amended by the registrar from 74 yrs to 72 yrs so born c1829. His son-in-law James Morell was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05739/4620257.pdf

On Sarah Ann's marriage record, Henry was a 'keeper of cooking dep(o)t'?.

Yes, that's the right Henry. No idea what a Keeper of a cooking depot is or keeper of Dining room
Down and Antrim - Orr, Kelly, Murray, Davey, Little, Phillips, McDowell, Morell, McKee, Crothers, Freeburn, Stewart, Holmes, Hill, McInnis.

Other - Dundonald Ayrshire, Barrow-in-Furness Lancashire. Kent, Victoria and Western Australia

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 22 09:55 BST (UK) »
Have you found anything about Mary Jane McKee, the witness?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11015/8027719.pdf

No and I'm pretty sure I've looked at so many Mary McKee's among others they're all starting to blend into one

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
Fir information
Henry was in Bentinck Street in 1890.
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/bcomplete1890.htm

In 1880, Robert Steele was at that address. Arthur Steele was a marriage witness  :-\
Arthur Steele marriage in 1887 gives father as Robert, a Dairyman.

I realise this has no bearing on the McKee family but places Henry in Belfast from around 1890.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 22 10:22 BST (UK) »
Now there's another Henry McKee in Bangor, he married a couple of Sarahs, but was a grocer. This is not my Henry

Have you followed this line in order to discount him?

Offline maresscares

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 22 10:30 BST (UK) »

Have you followed this line in order to discount him?

Yes, that Henry is still alive in the 1901 census with one of the wives called Sarah

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
With regard to Bentinck Street - I see from Mary Amelia’s death that the family were there pre 1890. You have this, of course.