Author Topic: Alexander Mckenzie/Mackenzie of Annat  (Read 713 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Mckenzie/Mackenzie of Annat
« on: Tuesday 17 May 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there , I am new to this forum and wondered if anybody could offer me any advice as I'm up against a brick wall.
I am trying to trace the death of Isabella Mckenzie/Mackenzie who was born in Janetown, Lochcarron sometime between 1812-1816. She married Alexander Mckenzie/Mackenzie of Annat on 17/7/1840 and they had 8 children ; John in 1840 , Christie 1842, William 1846, Mary 1848, Duncan & Donald 1851 , Alexander 1855 , plus another girl who had died before 1855.
Isabella's husband Alexander died on 23/06/1861 and there were two Poor Law entries for Isabella in Applecross in 1861 and 1867 . Isabella was discharged from the Poor Law register on 4 August 1869.
I know that Isabella died sometime between the Poor Law entries and her daughter Mary's wedding in December 871 where she was listed as ' deceased ' . I have hunted through all the records on Scotland People but the only possibility that I can find is an Isabella Mckenzie , daughter of John & Margaret Mckenzie , who died in Kishorn on 4/12 /1869 but was listed as single .
Could anybody offer any advice at all please ? i wondered why she would have been discharged from the Applecross Poor Law register where she claimed on her husband's parish and wondered whether she could have returned to her parish of birth .
Thanks for any help that anybody can give.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie/Mackenzie of Annat
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you looked at this death entry? This may be the one you mentioned was not the one:

ISABELLA MACKENZIE
MCKENZIE
058/2 25
Shieldaig

The only other two in R&C are:

1869 in Rosskeen

1871 in Gairloch Southern

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 22 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica ,

Thanks for your reply .The 1869 entry is the possible Kishorn one but it does list Isabella as single .  The Gairloch Southern one does actually say widow of Alexander MacKenzie ( which is right ) but the age is 75 where my Isabella would have been more like 55. And the Rosskeen entry has the wrong mother's maiden name which was also MacKenzie .

I'm swaying towards the Kishorn one in 1869 but it would be great to be sure . Were the death records fairly accurate or were they pretty hit and miss ?

Thanks again.

Becky

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 22 19:21 BST (UK) »
The info on the death registration is only really as good as what what the informant told the Registrar. Mistakes can creep in... :-\

Who were the informants to these three deaths?

Do you have an idea as to who Isabella's parents could be?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 22 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica ,

The details from the death entries are ;

1869 Shieldaig - age 55 - place of death Ardoch , Kishorn - single- Parents John MacKenzie (farmer) & Margaret McKenzie both deceased . Informant Roderick Mackenzie, brother

1869 Gairloch Southern -age 75 - place of death Sands , Gairloch -  wife of Alexander MacKenzie (crofter) -parents Murdo & Margaret MacKenzie-  informant Alexander MacKenzie , nephew .

I have got some Poor Law entries from 1867 (off Find My Past) where Isabella was receiving 1/-per week relief in Annat (Applecross Poor Law) as her husband's settlement so I'm not sure why she would have moved . She was described then as having a disablement of 'sickness' .

I really don't know who her parents were but a family name that keeps cropping up is 'William' . or Isabella's oldest son was John and oldest daughter Christina. As these weren't names from her husband Alexander's family ( his parents were Donald & Catherine) I was searching for a link to these names .

Thanks again for replying.

Becky