Author Topic: 1871 Burial in Aldbourne  (Read 320 times)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Burial in Aldbourne
« on: Friday 20 May 22 02:22 BST (UK) »
My ancestor George Bracher was born in Salisbury in Aug 1794 and died in nearby Alderbury on 4th June 1871. For many years I was not able to find where he was buried but have just found a recently added record on FamilySearch that tells me he was buried in Aldbourne six days later on 10th June.

My question is - where in Aldbourne? And then, of course, why there - more than 40 miles from where he died? I am unaware of any family connection to the place.

FamilySearch indicates the burial record is in "England, Wiltshire, Church Records, 1518-1990" database, Bishop's Transcripts.

I see that there is a graveyard at St Michael’s Church of England and close by is a small graveyard from the “New Zoar Baptist Chapel” which was demolished some time after 1931 but its burial ground survives.  There was also a Primitive Methodist chapel  in West Street and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Lottage Road but I don’t know if either had a burial ground.

Any help or suggestions to find George's resting place would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks, and best wishes from DownUnder

Ian Bracher

Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Burial in Aldbourne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 22 02:31 BST (UK) »
There are 3 entries for this burial on FindMyPast - one says buried Aldbourne, residence Alderbury.    However, the other two (Wiltshire Memorial Inscription Index) state he was buried in Alderbury.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 23 18:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a notice of his death in the North Wiltshire Herald 10th June 1871.  Died on June 4th at Avonturn, age 77 years.

In the Salisbury & Winchester Journal dated 9th September 1871 there is an auction notice.  The top of the article says "Avonturn" Alderbury, about two miles from Salisbury.  It then goes on to list what is up for auction.

Just out of curiosity I looked up the distance between Alderbury and Aldbourne.  It is 39 miles, just  over an hour by car.  Perhaps he was buried at Aldbourne because it was more convenient for the relatives?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
The reference to Aldbourne comes from the LDS film of the Bishop's Transcripts - catalogue no. 1279262. That film comprises the BTs for Aldbourne, Alderbury and Alderton, and it sometimes happens with these that the parishes get confused and the name of one (usually the first item on the film) gets applied to all the others. So it's almost certainly a mistake here.

In fact there are images of Wiltshire parish registers at Ancestry, and the burial is showing in the Alderbury register, as you'd expect.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Can see from his death announcement George BRACHER ESQ
---

Checked on

Google Books (on the net)

for: George BRACHER - and he is mentioned quite a few times - some 1855, other 1866 under the Heading: 'A Collection of the Public General Statutes and Land Tax Commisssioners Names.

George BRACHER Overton (For the County of Wilts)

etc
ect

Overton, Wiltshire Genealogy

OVERTON (St Michaels), a village in Marlborough district, a parish partly also in Pewsey District in the county of Wiltshire (Wilts).  It is located in the union of Marlborough, partly in the hundred of Elstub and Everley, but chiefly in that of Selkley, Marlborough and Rambury.

The Parish comprises the township of West Overton and the Tything of Lockeridge, in Marlborough district and the chapelry of Alton-Priors, and Overton-Heath and Clatford-Park.  The village stands on the river kennet, 4 miles SW of Marlborough Railway Station.

------

Duncan and Mandy's website, has thousands of photos, graves etc of Wiltshire Churches.

http://www.oodwooc.co.uk

---

Under, West Overton, Wiltshire (St Michaels & All Angels Church) - there are  photos etc.

Although, no BRACHER listed for West Overton, there are a number of others in different locations.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Genuki Full Contents Wiltshire

The National Gazetter of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), can't see OVERTON, but can see

EVERLEIGH (or Everley)

a parish in the hundred of Elsltub, county Wilts, 5 miles N.W. Ludgershall and 5 S.E. of Pewsey etc.

1851 Census, Overton

George BRACHER, Head - W 43 - M 1808 - Farmer 700 acres empty 40 lab

POST Office Directory Extract 1855 - West Overton (on the net)

West OVERTON a township, village and parish in the Marlborough Union, Selkley Hundred, on the river Kennet, including the hamlet of Lockeridge.  etc.  Population 1855 - West Overton 414.

Traders: George BRACHER Farmer

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 23 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Careful - there seem to be quite a few George Brachers.

Based on the information given by the OP, the one we're looking at is likely to be the one in Guilder Lane, Salisbury in the 1851 census - age 56, born in Salisbury and Secretary to the Wilts and Dorset Banking Company; household includes wife Elizabeth and 3 children (adult/teens).

The one in East Overton (farmer of 700 acres) is only 43, widowed, with 6 children in the household. To add to the mix, the 1851 census for Wiltshire also has a journeyman carpenter aged 50 lodging with a family in Teffont Magna, plus a number of younger ones.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk