Author Topic: Several dates for baptism  (Read 419 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Several dates for baptism
« on: Friday 20 May 22 13:07 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast there are three different dates for the baptism of William Holton: 16 Aug 1761, 17 Aug 1761 and 05 May 1762.

To complicate even further, "The People of Tingewick, gives the 18 Aug 1761.

All of the above agree that the baptism was at Tingewick and that the parents were Thomas and Sarah.

There are no available images, at least none that I can find.

What's going on?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Several dates for baptism
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
Again no image but ancestry has the 17th August 1761

ADDED
You see the actual image at a family history library or try the Buckinghamshire Record Office, they have the registers 

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
The lack of images makes verification difficult.

Does anyone know if the Parish Registers complete with images for Buckinghamshire are online anywhere?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 22 15:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the August 1761 dates and the May 1762 date represent two different William Holton's for the same couple, the first of whom died as an infant?

The August 1761 William could have been baptised as a slightly older baby, with Sarah perhaps being pregnant at the time. Then August 1761 William died, and his next sibling baptised May 1762 was named after him?

I've had that in my own family tree, it seems to be a particularly common practice where a child who died was named after a parent.

It wouldn't help resolve the situation with the three dates in August though.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the August 1761 dates and the May 1762 date represent two different William Holton's for the same couple, the first of whom died as an infant?

The August 1761 William could have been baptised as a slightly older baby, with Sarah perhaps being pregnant at the time. Then August 1761 William died, and his next sibling baptised May 1762 was named after him?

I've had that in my own family tree, it seems to be a particularly common practice where a child who died was named after a parent.

It wouldn't help resolve the situation with the three dates in August though.

Quite a possibility I woiuld say - the forename of a child that died was frequently given to the next born of the right sex.

Another possibility is that the baby was privately baptised in August 1761 because it was sickly (with various transcribers seeing slightly different figures) and then publicly "received into the Church " which was also noted in the baptism registers, the following May, when considered healthier.
In the case of my own ancestor in the 1760s the second 'baptism' record states that he "was named" publicly.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 May 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have had several baptisms registered, and saying 'child was buried'...........??

Perhaps the mix up with the dates are the baptism and burial date.

You need to check for the burials of the earlier child that was baptised.

Bucks Family History society can do a search for a small fee of £1 for each event, covering 100 years.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/