Author Topic: Deed Poll & Death  (Read 594 times)

Offline kathleencyork

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deed Poll & Death
« on: Sunday 22 May 22 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If someone changes their name by deed poll, is their death registered under their new name AND how is this linked back to their birth?
Thanks
Kathleen

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deed Poll & Death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 22 20:56 BST (UK) »
A death should be registered under the name by which someone was normally known at the time of their death.

In England & Wales there is no formal way to link back directly from a death certificate to a birth certificate. If the death was after 1 April 1969, the death certificate should show the person’s date and place of birth (country only, if born overseas), provided that information was known to the informant who registered the death.

Technically, nobody changes their name ‘by deed poll’ – the deed poll is simply a formal record of a name-change, and many people did not bother with one.

You may like to read the standard research guide for general information on changes of name ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/changes-of-name/

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 May 22 21:22 BST (UK) »
The above is correct - a death should be registered in the name the person "used or was known by" at the time of death, and I suspect that has always been the case.

Nowadays, one of the questions the informant should be asked by the registrar is whether the deceased was ever known by, or used, any other name.

If they have, then the original name could be recorded as "formerly known as ", but the informant could choose not to have the previous name recorded ( or they may not even know about it).

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
I've found that the GRO records a death in both names in their index, but I guess that's only if they are aware of it. The family member I have traced has same Volume and page number in the index but there are two separate entries under the different surnames.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 22 22:52 BST (UK) »
I've found that the GRO records a death in both names in their index, but I guess that's only if they are aware of it. The family member I have traced has same Volume and page number in the index but there are two separate entries under the different surnames.

Where an entry records the deceased under more than one name (e.g.using otherwise or formerly) then the single entry will appear in the index multiple times, under each variation recorded.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 22 22:56 BST (UK) »
AntonyMMM

Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated. Just wish it was as easy to find the date of the name change!

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 22 12:32 BST (UK) »
If you are certain the name change  was by Deed Poll, do a name search in the Gazette,  they are published there.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 22 13:08 BST (UK) »
Jebber

Just out of interest if someone changes their name at a solicitor's, would their name appear in the Gazette?

I have a family member for whom I can't find an entry in the Gazette, but family memory is that he travelled up to London to change his name. He changed his name, as he was in the process of getting a divorce and so that all of the family would have the same name.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 May 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
Other than in wartime, a deed poll would only appear in the gazette if the person chose to have it "enrolled" through the High Court, which has always been optional and an extra cost, and therefore most people don't bother.